The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wall Construction cost calculator ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Wall Construction cost calculator ?

Is there a Wall Construction materials cost calculator website or app?

For example, let’s say you are considering building walls that are 2x4’s 24 inches on center; with pink R13 in between studs; then 5/8” sheetrock; then green glue; then another 5/8” sheetrock. Like the attached picture.

Here is what I came up with for 32 square feet of area:
$9 1st panel of sheetrock
$25 Green Glue from 5-gallon pails
$9 2nd panel of sheet rock
$8 Two 8-foot 2x4's
$13 Pink R13 Insulation
$64 Total

Do my calculations and estimates look about right? It would be cool if there was an app that you could experiment with different configurations and see how the cost of materials changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Wall Construction cost calculator ?-wall-contruction.png  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They do make construction materials estimaters, i don't have one to reccomend off hand. Ive searched and found spreadsheets for this a few years back but cannot recall anything specific.

Two things about your list. I would consider 64sqft presuming you have an 8ft wall height, this gives you a cost per for 8 linear ft sections. This would include 2 drywall sheets. Its simple because minimum length framing is 8 feet generally.

Also your double headers and footer need to be included, and its 4x 2x4s for an 8' section at 24" centers. One at each end of the panel, two in the middle. Technically in the field (middle of wall) there will be 3x uprights since the seam between panels will share a 2x4.

Corners will add some extra uprights, so will doors, windows, and blocking for mid span support.

You end up with about 1x 2x4 per linear foot of wall space- example for an 8 foot tall, 8 foot long wall section: 4x for headers footers and midspan, 4x for uprights 24" oc. This is what i use for rough estimates, and have found it works well.

I figure an addition 2 or 4 per corner.

I break insulation down by cost per sqft. Then total the sqft and figure how many bundles i need to meet spec.

Remember to include caulking. Screws might be worth estimating based on total sqft, they add up due to multiple layers of drywall. I go so far as to include seam tape and mud, but these are generally not large costs relative to the project.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Just out of interest, where did you get that image from?

I haven't seen a diagram that detailed/easy to understand before and was wondering if there was a larger resource containing more?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I got that image from a website called Soundproofing.com -

https://www.soundproofingcompany.com...uble-stud-wall

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search