The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reverb and volume
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Reverb and volume

I don’t know what part of the forum this is best suited but maybe here since it’s acoustic related. My question is if natural reverberation (such as real hall or room) has a the same frequency response and character no matter the volume of the sound source. With spring and plates the input volume obviously impacts the character but what about natural spaces?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw_ View Post
I don’t know what part of the forum this is best suited but maybe here since it’s acoustic related. My question is if natural reverberation (such as real hall or room) has a the same frequency response and character no matter the volume of the sound source. With spring and plates the input volume obviously impacts the character but what about natural spaces?
If volume = level, you have to take into account that the reverberant field has to be excited. In a large space like a cathedral or sports venue you can perfectly have a conversation without things getting unintelligible.
When Angus Young & friends start their show you shouldn't be surprised when you don't recognize what song they are playing because reverberation is taking over.
So it is not a totally linear phenomenon.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg View Post
If volume = level, you have to take into account that the reverberant field has to be excited. In a large space like a cathedral or sports venue you can perfectly have a conversation without things getting unintelligible.
When Angus Young & friends start their show you shouldn't be surprised when you don't recognize what song they are playing because reverberation is taking over.
So it is not a totally linear phenomenon.
That's kind of what I imagined but never really thought of until some days ago when I started to think of making some IRs of a room. But I don't think plugins like Waves IR1 makes difference of the input level.

Just found this article on the subject.

https://science-of-sound.net/2016/09...b-work-part-1/
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw_ View Post
That's kind of what I imagined but never really thought of until some days ago when I started to think of making some IRs of a room. But I don't think plugins like Waves IR1 makes difference of the input level.

Just found this article on the subject.

https://science-of-sound.net/2016/09...b-work-part-1/
Lots of words.
But RT is a bit silly as there is always a better and worse spot in a hall.
So where are you going to record the IR for the simulation?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search