The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ARC2 Measurements after installing DIY Bass Traps
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

ARC2 Measurements after installing DIY Bass Traps

Just built my own bass traps (thanks to GIK Acoustics.)

I've been using the IK Multimedia ARC2 and I've been satisfied with it—while I don't have the experience to know if it's the best, or how good it is, I'm satisfied that it's helped and improved my mixes.

With that being said, if anyone would take the time to help me with a couple questions, I would give you all my internet points.

First, I don't really have an understanding of frequency response graphs; in particular, why the vertical lines aren't evenly spaced and how to tell which frequencies the unmarked lines represent. I think I figured it out:

•If I'm reading the measurement graph correctly, my room has a significant dip in the 85hz range (about -12db untreated, and slightly more on the treated "LP Loft Studio Solo")

•The biggest effect my bass traps had were on the frequency around 250hz...if I'm reading the graph correctly, it took a +2dB spike down to -2db on the L and about the same on the R

•It also looks like the bass traps took a +6 db spike around 160hz down to +4?

Secondly, if anyone has any thoughts on factors that may contribute to such a severe 85hz dip, I'd love to explore that.

Thank you for any help offered.
Attached Thumbnails
ARC2 Measurements after installing DIY Bass Traps-untreated-measurements.png   ARC2 Measurements after installing DIY Bass Traps-treated-measurements.png  

Last edited by abrokentenor; 1 week ago at 01:26 AM.. Reason: Forgot the attachments. Of course.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Hello,

It's better to use a dedicated software like REW to do acoustical measurements.

The frequency response is a part of the acoustic process. The decay is an important part and arc2 tell nothing on that.

We don't know what arc2 show:average measures, weighted measures, resolution of measures and corrections.
The only what i'm sure: he cut the graph in two parts. In bass frequencies, the room measurements. And above the speakers measurements.

A drawing of your room with the file measurements of REW will be downloaded on your thread for a better help.

Last edited by dinococcus; 1 week ago at 12:41 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search