The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Small Room Tracking/Mixing Treatment
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Small Room Tracking/Mixing Treatment

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of setting up a room in my basement for recording vocals and mixing. The room is oddly-shaped, but it's the only one I can use for this studio. It is a very small room (roughly 11' by 7'). I have attached pictures for reference. The 3rd picture is a small boxed off area where you enter the room, with the 1st and 2and pics being what you see when you walk in. My mixing position is along the rear wall (1st picture), with the 2nd picture. I have centered it between the 2 walls and moved the desk back a bit from the wall. I figured I would treat the wall behind it, beside it and obviously the first reflection points on the wall behind me where my speakers are pointing. I have 3" rockwool and plan to build some broadband absorbers. Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Small Room Tracking/Mixing Treatment-20200131_212506.jpg   Small Room Tracking/Mixing Treatment-20200131_212453.jpg   Small Room Tracking/Mixing Treatment-20200131_212524.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I’m certainly not an expert but a few tips I’ve picked up from some of the knowledgeable experts here: Bass traps, bass traps, and more bass traps. Also, generally in smaller rooms you want your preferably non-rear-ported monitors as close to the front wall as possible, reason being that it brings any SBIR frequencies up to a more easily treated frequency. Low frequencies, especially below 100Hz are quite difficult to tame. You also want to be mindful of the first reflection points above and to the sides. The thicker you can make your absorbers the better.

Ethan Winer, who posts frequently in this forum, has an awesome resource for acoustic treatment
https://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Also check out GIK acoustics. I’ve bought a few of their products and it has served me well.
Old 1 week ago
You want to sit in the middle of the left side wall. Then, I would probably try to replicate the slant wall on the left side and fill the part in front with absorption.

Do a few measurements, they'll tell you what you need to do.
Old 1 week ago
The area where you enter the room could be the most tricky part. You may be able to do a bass trap on wheels to roll in front of that area when in the room perhaps. Cosign on the recommendation to speak to GIK Acoustics - really helpful guys and great product range. Not as cheap as DIY of course but not the most expensive either.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search