The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundproofing Home (no demo)
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Soundproofing Home (no demo)

Hi guys,

I will be moving into a new home in the upcoming weeks and will be setting up a music room to play with my band and do small recording projects. I have acoustical panels and corner wedges I will be installing in the room, but I am more concerned with soundproofing from my neighbors. I am wondering if anyone here has any ideas/suggestions?

I am attaching 2 photos of the room (the furniture in the photos is not mine and will not be there). As you can see, the walls/ceiling/floor are made of wood and I want to keep that look. Thus, I do not want to do any demo work. I am initially thinking about making a baffle (plywood+foam) to put in the exterior window and a heavy curtains that can be pulled over the window and the interior doorway. I am also considering adding some extra insulation under the floor (crawlspace) and above the ceiling (attic) but not sure what product would work best (suggestions?).

Any feedback/suggestions are welcome. I know that demo + rebuild is probably the best route but I am looking for the next best thing. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Soundproofing Home (no demo)-den1.png   Soundproofing Home (no demo)-den2.png  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Nice house.

Absorption and isolation are two separate things. The panels, wedges, blankets, and foam will absorb some of the room's echoes, making it flatter and a nicer place to record/rehearse.

There are some sound-absorbing fiberglasses that are designed to go over drop-in ceilings. They cut down on office-to-office transmission, but it's as much by cutting reverb over the drop-in than by isolation.

True isolation needs either mass or decoupling. And sound can sneak through the tiniest holes.

When you make your window 'corks', use heavy plywood or MDF. And make sure it seals tightly against the window frame. Weather stripping compressed between your device and the window frame will help.

Another layer of board or 5/8" sheetrock over the attic joists will help. Even better if you mount it on foam of some type (or RC1 channels), and seriously tape and seal it to close up the bays around the room.

Not sure what you need to do in the crawlspace; I'd assume it's in a dug foundation with concrete walls and earth around it. If the house is on some kind of stilts, that's another problem.

But the big killer is the walls, since you don't want to do any demo. The place looks kind of modern, which suggests thin board applied directly to 2x4 studs (or even metal ones), with no isolation. Short of not rehearsing loud, and close-miking when you record, there's not much you can do.

Read any books by this guy. He knows his stuff, and provides practical answers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberator View Post
Hi guys,

I will be moving into a new home in the upcoming weeks and will be setting up a music room to play with my band and do small recording projects. I have acoustical panels and corner wedges I will be installing in the room, but I am more concerned with soundproofing from my neighbors. I am wondering if anyone here has any ideas/suggestions?

I am attaching 2 photos of the room (the furniture in the photos is not mine and will not be there). As you can see, the walls/ceiling/floor are made of wood and I want to keep that look. Thus, I do not want to do any demo work. I am initially thinking about making a baffle (plywood+foam) to put in the exterior window and a heavy curtains that can be pulled over the window and the interior doorway. I am also considering adding some extra insulation under the floor (crawlspace) and above the ceiling (attic) but not sure what product would work best (suggestions?).

Any feedback/suggestions are welcome. I know that demo + rebuild is probably the best route but I am looking for the next best thing. Thanks in advance!
just to check but did you mean to post in the studio building and acoustic forum? its just one over this one..

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stud...ing-acoustics/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search