The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soffit or Tri for corner super chunk bass traps and other DIY questions
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Soffit or Tri for corner super chunk bass traps and other DIY questions

I know a lot of this has probably been asked and answered, but it's difficult to find via search so apologies.

I'm about to embark on treating my room and drawing up plans. If anyone can point me to some good DIY plans that I could modify, that would be great.

My first questions is whether I should build soffit or tri styled bass corner traps.

Seems the soffit style would be better, but most plans I see are for tri corner style. Is that just a visual preference?

I have room to do 18" squared soffit styled traps. I know I need to support the insulation so it doesn't sag. How far should those support planks be spaced?

What's the best wood to use for the frame and for the support planks?

I live in Latin America, so brand names of insulation will likely be different. For the bass traps, what is the ideal insulation characteristics for this super chunk approach?

I will also be building 3" thick panels for the ceiling and some 6" and 8" panels for the walls. What is the best insulation type to use for these?

Note, my room has big time modal ringing & resonances due to size, concrete floors, brick walls and two big walls of glass so I'm just gonna treat all of the easy obvious problem areas before doing any acoustic measurements.

I'll fine tune after that is done.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search