The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The equilateral triangle method to bright for my ears !!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The equilateral triangle method to bright for my ears !!!

More detail in sound if I'm not using the equilateral triangle method for monitor placement.
Something between the "wrong" and the "right" solution works best for me ... am I crazy???

EDIT:
Have found the problem / my stupidity
My speakers are too close to each other, so there was never a triangle.
Now they have come further apart and the sound is fantastic :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Give it 2-3 weeks before you give up. Sometimes you need to readjust and get used to the new response. If you're used to a roll off in the highs, it might take some time to get use to a "flat" response.

Also, depending on monitor model, a slight angle off (horizontal plane) is not necessarily wrong.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Id make sure your monitors are set to flat and id also measure the room with REW to see whats actually going on. Also, when you toe in your speakers to form the triangle, aim for a spot around 4-8 inches behind your head.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...jqWaMD0Li6jDQv

Measuring Room Acoustics
Old 2 weeks ago
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpaMusik View Post
More detail in sound if I'm not using the equilateral triangle method for monitor placement.
Something between the "wrong" and the "right" solution works best for me ... am I crazy???
Paradox Alert: If you mix with your tweeters blowing past you because they're too bright for your ears, you'll wind up with mixes that are... drum roll... too bright for your ears.

This is of course assuming that your tweeters are actually bright and not just crappy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Paradox Alert: If you mix with your tweeters blowing past you because they're too bright for your ears, you'll wind up with mixes that are... drum roll... too bright for your ears.

This is of course assuming that your tweeters are actually bright and not just crappy.

80/5000
unless I listen to references ... and actually like the sound of the speakers ;-)

Speakers: Focal alpha 50
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpaMusik View Post
80/5000
unless I listen to references ... and actually like the sound of the speakers...
Same speakers, different material. And you blame the speakers?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You need to sit down and use some logic and reason to discern what’s going on. As Brent is indicating in Brent’s little way, is if your reference tracks sound great and your mixes do not, it’s not the monitor positioning but the mix that needs attention.

I have two sets of monitors and neither are placed in an equilateral triangle. However, I’ve measured with REW for the flattest response. I then listened to a lot of music through them to retrain my ears. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and because I measured with REW, I know what they are.

The smaller set I do 90% of a mix on have the tweeters to the middle rather than the outside, because REW said so.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. Boykin View Post
As Brent is indicating in Brent’s little way...
Hey man, my way is just as big as your way. :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The equilateral triangle is necessary for proper stereo imaging, as is symetrical room.

You set the traingle up off of a spot 16" or so behind the listening position. Jason Foi mentioned this concept. This will widen the image, and keep the tweeters from firing directly into your ears.

If the speakers are too bright with proper setup, and room treatment, you can use a couple db of subtractive eq without too much harm.

If things are still too bright, you need to get some speakers you like better.

I don't like the sound of mid forward speakers, but my mixes tend to translate well with them, so its what i use.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Have found the problem / my stupidity
My speakers are too close to each other, so there was never a triangle.
Now they have come further apart and the sound is fantastic :-)

Thanks for all the input
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The equilateral triangle is necessary for proper stereo imaging,
Actually, no it isn't. But that's a different story, and I won't try to educate you on that.

- Stuart -
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
Actually, no it isn't. But that's a different story, and I won't try to educate you on that.

- Stuart -

Please don't.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have always used equilateral speaker placement.

It works perfectly and the best IF and only IF your monitors have a proper ruler flat response
as studio reference monitors should have.

if your tweeters are too bright and hyped is will just plain hurt after a short period of time.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I use the triangle isoceles.

The distance recommended by the brand, the optimal use of the diffusion area of the speakers or the directivity cône and the same distance between the head and the speakers.
The triangle isoceles is the minimal setup.

But if you have data...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search