The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the glass of the vocal booth absorbs 200 hz
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

the glass of the vocal booth absorbs 200 hz

hello everyone, I created a vocal booth of about 3 square meters, I made it with a 6mm (3 + 3mm) glass window. I performed the measurements with rew and there is a huge drop in frequencies around 200 hz, why?

when I take measurements away from the glass the problem is solved.

the vocal booth is composed of a 1 cm layer of plasterboard, filled with 15 cm of 50 kg rock wool.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grignacarbo View Post
hello everyone, I created a vocal booth of about 3 square meters, I made it with a 6mm (3 + 3mm) glass window. I performed the measurements with rew and there is a huge drop in frequencies around 200 hz, why?

when I take measurements away from the glass the problem is solved.

the vocal booth is composed of a 1 cm layer of plasterboard, filled with 15 cm of 50 kg rock wool.
You are joking. The answer is the title of the thread.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I can't understand what you mean.
how can I avoid that the glass absorbs the frequencies on 200 hz?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Avoiding the glass.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

it seems to me a senseless answer, many vocal booths have glass, so does this mean that everyone has problems on 200 hz? can't it be that changing the glass thickness solves the problem? maybe the glass acts as a resonator?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Can you post a sketch of your booth please? With dimensions.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The opposite is more likely:

The window is reflective at 200 Hz (as well) and as a result you are experiencing destructive interference at 200 Hz (when direct sound and one or more reflections add up) in some position (where there’s a ½ wavelength difference between direct sound and one (or more) reflections(s). Moving to another position will cause interference at other frequencies, possibly less destructive.

Removing (absorbing) the interfering energy will result in a flat response.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

check my pictures
Attached Thumbnails
the glass of the vocal booth absorbs 200 hz-whatsapp-image-2019-12-24-12.51.36.jpg   the glass of the vocal booth absorbs 200 hz-vo.jpg   the glass of the vocal booth absorbs 200 hz-vocal.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
The opposite is more likely:

The window is reflective at 200 Hz (as well) and as a result you are experiencing destructive interference at 200 Hz (when direct sound and one or more reflections add up) in some position (where there’s a ½ wavelength difference between direct sound and one (or more) reflections(s). Moving to another position will cause interference at other frequencies, possibly less destructive.

Removing (absorbing) the interfering energy will result in a flat response.
exactly my thoughts as well.
i have just recently moved out of a small studio with a window between the control room and the small booth.
i had to block the window from both sides because it made them literally unusable because of a huge resonance at 200hz.

good luck with your window!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I only put one glass in the center of the window, should I put two glasses apart? I do not understand

Wouldn't it be enough to increase the thickness of the glass I currently have? instead of the 6mm glass I currently have, could I put a 1cm glass?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search