The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should Acoustics be symetrical in the room or in the mix position?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Should Acoustics be symetrical in the room or in the mix position?

I know that title is a bit confusing, let me explain.

My studio is pretty much a square, but to the left side of my mix position is an extended mic booth. So my position is not the center of the full room, but centered to the wall up to that mic booth.

Behind me is a flat wall that is the length of the room including the mic booth.

My question is, as I apply some acoustic treatment to the ceiling and back wall (Auralex Sonoflats on the ceiling and the ridged squares to the back wall in a triangular pattern). Should I be centering that with the back wall or centering it to my seating position in between my monitors but behind me?

The back wall is 125" and I have 12" Sonoflat Squares, so my idea was to put the first square centered at 62" across (where the ceiling meets the back wall) with 3 squares on each side. Then in front of that the same with two squares to each side, then one to each side, then just the one. Forming a pyramid behind me that would reach it's point 48" from where the ceiling meets the back wall. Then I was going to put four across in a line above my head for reflection there. Those measurements are obviously centered to the room, but should they be centered to my listening location instead? The mic booth described above leaves me about 90" across where my board is. So I'm sitting within the back walls right most 90" of the 125".

I can give more details if this doesn't make perfect sense.

Last edited by Fired Wire; 2 weeks ago at 02:47 AM.. Reason: typos and missed a detail
Old 2 weeks ago
I just hope you're not using foam.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Why is that? I was going to use these on the ceiling

https://auralex.com/sonoflat/
Old 2 weeks ago
I can't find specs on that stuff but two inch foam will probably not do anything below 250 Hz or so. All foam does is to make rooms dull and boomy.

The problems in your room will be in the bass so you need treatment that works in the bass first and foremost. Anything else is a waste of money.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
That's a fair point, but I am applying this to a portion of the ceiling, mainly for absorption reasons, just to make the room a bit tighter. Not particularly as a bass trap distinctly. It has a 0.95 NRC rating, so that's pretty good for absorption standards that cut down on reflection. I'm a bit more concerned with the mids and highs flashing back at me then the bass in the room. That said, I don't want to waste money either if it's pointless to hang there.

I'm thinking I need to line this up centered to the room shape, not centered to my mix position since I'm not perfectly centered and can't be myself. After some thinking on my own I came to that conclusion, but am open to anyone that's done something like this telling me I'm wrong.

Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fired Wire View Post
I'm a bit more concerned with the mids and highs flashing back at me then the bass in the room.
Then you should measure your room. That will tell you what your problems are.

TBH I have seen one room in here where the decay in the mids and highs was noticeably longer which may be what you're hearing. But I don't remember what speaker that guy had so it could be he had small speakers without bass and we never saw what happened in the bass.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
To be completely honest, my space doesn't sound that bad. I think that's more from luck then effort though. I have Genelec monitors, I forgot the model number because their model numbers are the only thing I don't like about Genelec (confusing array). They are smaller form factor, so they are pretty heavy on the vocal range, especially since most of what I work on is hip-hop so it's rapped lyrics that pop hard.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
And I don't particularly feel like what I'm doing will dramatically change that. I'd just like to try and make the room a bit less reflective so that I know my sweet spot in the mix position is undisturbed. I could be wasting time doing it, for little return, but since my space happens to sound pretty good I'm nipping around the edges.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fired Wire View Post
I could be wasting time doing it, for little return, but since my space happens to sound pretty good I'm nipping around the edges.
This is Gearslutz, not Gearsubtle.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search