The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What would be a good budget friendly way for some portable room treatment?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What would be a good budget friendly way for some portable room treatment?

I would just like something that I can quickly set up to reduce all of the unwanted noise in the room to get the vocals more "dry" and such.. I saw some stands with acoustic foam on them but they were around $200 so i'm sure I could make something like that but what would be the best way and how exactly should I go about doing it?

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ive mounted acoustic foam on pegboard and hung it from mic stands, and also draped moving blankets over mic stands. Both did a reasonable job on location.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Ive mounted acoustic foam on pegboard and hung it from mic stands, and also draped moving blankets over mic stands. Both did a reasonable job on location.
You know what to be honest I actually have a couple of moving moving blankets and even made a decent sized "booth" with them but I should of done my research first because after asking on reddit a while back people were saying that the blankets only absorb high frequencies so when recording you can have some issues.. Are the blankets still useful? I have seen so many sites and videos regarding a moving blanket booth and the resulting sound does sound much better than an open room but after getting those answers on reddit it made me think twice and I honestly haven't even used it once... What's your opinion on the blankets?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmusic320 View Post
You know what to be honest I actually have a couple of moving moving blankets and even made a decent sized "booth" with them but I should of done my research first because after asking on reddit a while back people were saying that the blankets only absorb high frequencies so when recording you can have some issues.. Are the blankets still useful? I have seen so many sites and videos regarding a moving blanket booth and the resulting sound does sound much better than an open room but after getting those answers on reddit it made me think twice and I honestly haven't even used it once... What's your opinion on the blankets?
The blankets can be effective. Yes they absorb mostly mids and highs. Mids and highs are mostly where vocals live, and the blankets can help mitigate flutter echo, and combfiltering effects from getting into a mic. Flutter and combfiltering are issues related to mids and highs.

Presuming the room is reasonably sized, ie not a closet, modal issues shouldn't be a deal breaker for vocals, especially when close mic'd.

Since the blankets are thin, they won't contain the low mids which result in a boxy sound. The low mids travel right thru the blanket in both directions.

You can see Rick Rubin using what appears to be baffles made from blankets, on Jay-Z's making of the black album. Blankets are a classic studio tool.

Your best bet is to try using them, experiment a bit, and listen to the results. I generally make the blanket cave not huge, but large enough to be comfortable for the performer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
The blankets can be effective. Yes they absorb mostly mids and highs. Mids and highs are mostly where vocals live, and the blankets can help mitigate flutter echo, and combfiltering effects from getting into a mic. Flutter and combfiltering are issues related to mids and highs.

Presuming the room is reasonably sized, ie not a closet, modal issues shouldn't be a deal breaker for vocals, especially when close mic'd.

Since the blankets are thin, they won't contain the low mids which result in a boxy sound. The low mids travel right thru the blanket in both directions.

You can see Rick Rubin using what appears to be baffles made from blankets, on Jay-Z's making of the black album. Blankets are a classic studio tool.

Your best bet is to try using them, experiment a bit, and listen to the results. I generally make the blanket cave not huge, but large enough to be comfortable for the performer.
I think I might give them a shot then. How exactly could you contain the low mids with the blankets? Put some acoustic foam on them maybe or like some bass traps? I don't know much about soundproofing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I might give them a shot then. How exactly could you contain the low mids with the blankets? Put some acoustic foam on them maybe or like some bass traps? I don't know much about soundproofing.
It depends what your trying to do. For a little vocal booth or cave you don't want to contain the low mids or bass. You want that stuff to spread and not come back into the mic. So in the case of blankets on mic stands, you manage the low mids with the physical placement of the booth/singer. Somewhere towards the middle of the room but not dead center is a good place to start.

Bass generally builds up most in corners and at room boundaries.

If your talking about treating the room itself, bass traps and panels made from fluffy and rigid fiberglass take care of low mids and bass.

Foam bass traps aren't cost effective. This is why rigid fiberglass panels and fluffy fiberglass is used. Its highly effective acoustically, and cost effective.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
It depends what your trying to do. For a little vocal booth or cave you don't want to contain the low mids or bass. You want that stuff to spread and not come back into the mic. So in the case of blankets on mic stands, you manage the low mids with the physical placement of the booth/singer. Somewhere towards the middle of the room but not dead center is a good place to start.

Bass generally builds up most in corners and at room boundaries.

If your talking about treating the room itself, bass traps and panels made from fluffy and rigid fiberglass take care of low mids and bass.

Foam bass traps aren't cost effective. This is why rigid fiberglass panels and fluffy fiberglass is used. Its highly effective acoustically, and cost effective.
ohhh ok. the booth/room would actually be used just for recording and no mixing or speakers will be used in that room. so are you saying for something that I am trying to do with just recording that just the blankets and proper placement would be all I need?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
ohhh ok. the booth/room would actually be used just for recording and no mixing or speakers will be used in that room. so are you saying for something that I am trying to do with just recording that just the blankets and proper placement would be all I need?
Im saying blankets can be effective in the field. There are certainly better alternatives, but it all depends on your budget, space, and desired outcome.

Its difficult to define whats "good enough" for you without you defining what i mentioned above. Including the size and shape of the room your using.

Blankets are a cheap, guerilla style way to get things done. Moveable gobos would be the next step up, fully treating your room would be the next step up, designing a purpose built room would be the ideal scenario.

Certainly more goes into pro room treatments than blankets. But in cases like basements or living rooms, they can be a no cost, or low cost way to improve things.

Youll notice that even in big dollar main rooms, the singer is often surrounded by gobos. This is either to control reflections in the room, gain some separation from other live instruments, or both.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Im saying blankets can be effective in the field. There are certainly better alternatives, but it all depends on your budget, space, and desired outcome.

Its difficult to define whats "good enough" for you without you defining what i mentioned above. Including the size and shape of the room your using.

Blankets are a cheap, guerilla style way to get things done. Moveable gobos would be the next step up, fully treating your room would be the next step up, designing a purpose built room would be the ideal scenario.

Certainly more goes into pro room treatments than blankets. But in cases like basements or living rooms, they can be a no cost, or low cost way to improve things.

Youll notice that even in big dollar main rooms, the singer is often surrounded by gobos. This is either to control reflections in the room, gain some separation from other live instruments, or both.

Ok I get what you're saying. I have actually seen those gobos before but I never knew what they were called.. I should be moving soon within the next couple of months and I think in the new room ill definitely try to set something up besides the blankets maybe ill try building some panels and putting them on the wall and such. Thanks for your time!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok I get what you're saying. I have actually seen those gobos before but I never knew what they were called.. I should be moving soon within the next couple of months and I think in the new room ill definitely try to set something up besides the blankets maybe ill try building some panels and putting them on the wall and such. Thanks for your time!!!
Best of luck to ya!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search