The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice for treating my home mix/recroding room
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Advice for treating my home mix/recroding room

Hello dear forum members,

I am moving out of my studio and setting up at home.

I have a smallish room to work in. A plus side might be the there is no rear wall. behind me (when I'm sitting at the mix position) to room connects to a bigger living room. I thought about placing a curtain behind me so the space has a more 'roomy' feel. And my work won't disturb anything else that's happening at the house.

Does the curtain need to have any acoustic properties? any recommendations on this?

I have lots of Rockwool sheets from my previous studio I can use. I thought about covering the whole front wall with it.

the question is how thick should it be? I can place 2 or three sheets of Rockwool stacked. Is stacking 3 sheets better than 2 sheets? should I mix and match this along the wall?

Is covering the whole front wall preferable than treating only the corner and behind the speakers?

I've made a really poor drawing of the room, I hope it will be of any help.
My monitors are Quested VS2108, 8" speakers.

My goal is is to have as accurate as possible listening/mixing position.
I would like it to not be super dead so I could record vocals/acoustic guitar there.

Any knowledgable advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Oran
Attached Thumbnails
Advice for treating my home mix/recroding room-studio-skecth.png   Advice for treating my home mix/recroding room-20200130_171736.jpg   Advice for treating my home mix/recroding room-20200130_171748.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by oranzil View Post
I have a smallish room to work in. A plus side might be the there is no rear wall.
Not sure if this is such a plus. I'd rather have a static environment, I guess.

Quote:

Does the curtain need to have any acoustic properties? any recommendations on this?
Measure first before you buy anything.

Quote:
I have lots of Rockwool sheets from my previous studio I can use. I thought about covering the whole front wall with it.
TBH I'd first get speaker stands and get the speakers off the desk.

Quote:
the question is how thick should it be? I can place 2 or three sheets of Rockwool stacked. Is stacking 3 sheets better than 2 sheets? should I mix and match this along the wall?
That depends on the frequency the modes are in your room.

Quote:
Is covering the whole front wall preferable than treating only the corner and behind the speakers?
Professional builds treat every surface except the floor so I guess yes. For just acoustic treatment, I think most people don't go this far.

Quote:
What's the budget? :D
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello dear forum members,

I am moving out of my studio and setting up at home.

I have a smallish room to work in. A plus side might be the there is no rear wall. behind me (when I'm sitting at the mix position) to room connects to a bigger living room. I thought about placing a curtain behind me so the space has a more 'roomy' feel. And my work won't disturb anything else that's happening at the house.

I've made a really poor drawing of the room, I hope it will be of any help.
My monitors are Quested VS2108, 8" speakers.

My goal is is to have as accurate as possible listening/mixing position.
I would like it to not be super dead so I could record vocals/acoustic guitar there.

Thanks a lot,

Oran
the curtain wont do much exept have some privacy but not much acustic related. maybe dampen some noise but not that much. a wall would be the best option but i can see wy it would be dificult.

looking at the space have some side panels for absorbing on the sides and bass trap below. get the speakers to be position on non virbating surface/stands.
and a rug. and a rug on the living room. you wont get a dead space unless you spent a LOT of money so dont worry about that.

and then use room correcting software like systemwide4 to get the most decent sound out of that space for mixing.

but dont overthink it. if you can get a thick curtain and rugs it will help on sound reflections and bass build up. and then just make music.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post

What's the budget? :D
let's say up to 4K$ .

Thanks for the input johannburkard and gsilbers
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
let's say up to 4K$ .
You can get something done with that budget.

DIY will get you further though.

Do you already have an omni microphone you could do a measurement with?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
You can get something done with that budget.

DIY will get you further though.

Do you already have an omni microphone you could do a measurement with?
Don't have an omni mic. I do have the behringer measurement mic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Don't have an omni mic. I do have the behringer measurement mic.
If it's omni, please take a REW measurement for us before you start. Instructions are at the top of the forum, I think.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search