The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Improving Vocal Recordings with Acoustic Treatment
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Improving Vocal Recordings with Acoustic Treatment

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm in need of some advice. I recently invested a hefty amount of money on GIK Acoustic panels in hopes that I will improve my vocal recordings a huge amount but I don't think I was successful. I still find I spend more time EQing vocals and in the end, it sounds like they can't be saved. I attached pictures and an audio recording of a RAW vocal. There's just too much muffle and some harsh frequencies. I have the 244 Bass traps, PIB Booth, AT4040 microphone, and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2nd Gen). Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Improving Vocal Recordings with Acoustic Treatment-photo-jan-29-5-10-16-pm.jpg   Improving Vocal Recordings with Acoustic Treatment-photo-jan-29-5-10-18-pm.jpg   Improving Vocal Recordings with Acoustic Treatment-photo-jan-29-5-10-23-pm.jpg   Improving Vocal Recordings with Acoustic Treatment-photo-jan-29-5-10-30-pm.jpg   Improving Vocal Recordings with Acoustic Treatment-mic.jpg  

Improving Vocal Recordings with Acoustic Treatment-front.jpg  
Attached Files

Kid Carmy - Empty RAW VOX.mp3 (6.28 MB, 210 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
With some processing (auto-tune?) on, it's hard to say but I don't hear any echo in the recording. It sounds very dry to me.

For my taste, you are a bit too close to the microphone. The sibiliance ("harsh frequencies") are something that probably every voice has to some extent. You may be able to control them better over time. Or just use a deesser?
Old 2 weeks ago
You may also have the feeling that your vocals are harsh if your speakers are too bright. Measure your room to find out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
That mic has a real bump around 6k that is quite obvious in the recording. There's also a bit much (maybe?) a bit north of 2k. I don't think it's an acoustics problem, I can't hear hardly any "room". It looks like it should EQ OK (dynamic EQ?), but perhaps this mic just doesn't suit yr voice? At least, not the way you want it. Try something else... How about an RE20? They're boss. I wish I had one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yes there is Autotune on the vocals. I meant to take it off before posting, apologies. I do agree that the vocals are dry, It's just the muddiness that I am worried about, vocals just sound too muddy and muffled. I will try to stand further back when recording and see how that sounds.
Old 2 weeks ago
You could also try a bit of multiband compression in the low mids.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search