The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moving Studio's - Looking for Room Advice
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Moving Studio's - Looking for Room Advice

Hey slutz!! I'm looking at moving because of some electrical issues at the current space that I record at that appear to be unavoidable as well as some ancillary noise related issues.

I have a modest setup and a reasonable amount of gear. I toured a place today that is within my budget, but it was a lot smaller than the pictures indicated. My current control room (which was really the first room I've learned to mix in) is 16x 24. The tracking room is probably around 32x48 (about double the size). The celings are around 12ft.

I don't have actual measurements of the place that I was looking at, but based on my estimations, I'd say that the place I'm thinking of moving into is composed of three rooms that are a fraction of that size. The main room is probably 8x10, the second, 6x8, and the third is essentially a closet. Ceilings are probably 8 ft tall.

My question is - is this a dumb move or would these room sizes be doable for a control room and tracking room? I know it's probably not ideal, I'm curious if it's DOABLE with the right treatment. I have a ****TONE of rockwool lying around, and I'd be happy to buy the correct bass traps or build them. Any and all help is welcome. Thank you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That's a significant step down. I wouldn't expect anything but difficulty in rooms of that size.

Electrical issues can usually be fixed. And ancillary noise usually can be as well, but is often expensive.

Id either fix the current place, or keep looking. There's also no guarantee that the electrical service will be clean at the new spot either.

Perhaps you can strike a deal with your current landlord to take the cost of the upgraded electrical and isolation construction off your rent since its an improvement to the facility that you cant take with you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My minimum requirements for control room (after isolation if needed) when taking on a project is 4.6 m length, 3.6 m width and 2.35 m height (and also assuming door is in the right place and no other problems with layout). If smaller I simply cannot give any guarantees. Smallest dimensions I would ever do anything in (simple DIY-style projects) is about 4 x 2,5 x 2,3 meters but I would never leave any guarantees for such a small space.

This room was about 4,4 x 3,5 m:

Monitors placement/room acoustic

It turned out great, but I would never take that chance again. A tad larger and I know for sure it can be done.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search