The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bookshelf diffusor vs absorber for first reflection points in small room
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Bookshelf diffusor vs absorber for first reflection points in small room

Hey,

my bedroom-mixing-room is 304cm wide. The front wall has an offset window, so I'll never have perfect symmetry in there. The speakers ar against the front wall at 1/4 and 3/4 from the side, my head is about 1,40 from the front wall (worked out better than 38%).

I have 2 Monster-Bass-Traps in each front corner (against the side wall, bottom with Range Limiter) and will put up 4 244-Bass-traps as a cloud within the next days (again, 2 with Range Limiter). For the first reflection points on the side I was planing to put up one 244 on each side.
Now I am wandering if a bookshelf on either side (filled with books and other stuff that actually has to be stored in this room) could be a decent alternative (the 244s could go on the back wall then, helping the two Tri-Traps...).
I just realized that this kind of setup might make the multi use of my room a lot easier, so I'm not necessarily expecting to improve the sound as compared to the first option, just to stay in the same ballpark.

Thanks for any advice, Peer
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe View Post
Now I am wandering if a bookshelf on either side (filled with books and other stuff that actually has to be stored in this room) could be a decent alternative ...
Unless you fill it with something absorptive, no.
Old 3 weeks ago
Books have a tendency to be read.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Early reflections are pretty important and should NOT be overlooked. The goal is the kill (or redirect) that reflection as you do not want to hear the direct sound and the reflection. Best to absorb it 100% IMO and the 244 is what should be used or as Jen says fill the shelf iwill absorption. https://www.gikacoustics.com/early-reflection-points/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search