The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rear Wall Treatment Coverage !
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Rear Wall Treatment Coverage !

Hi People,

I'm getting closer to completing treatment for my home studio, thanks to a bunch of info answering my threads/posts.

My room is 11' 6" x 18' and am about to do some measuring, but before I do, I have a rear wall question.

The side/back wall corners and the ceiling/back wall corner have 17" x 17" soffits filled with Roxul Safe'n'Sound. (Black)

The 3 panels for the face of the rear wall are 6" thick (with the sides cut-out for a little extra effectiveness) and will each have an air gap of 6". (Red)

At the moment, distance between each panel is approx. 7". (Pics attached).

My question is....

Shall I leave the 3 Panels as they appear in the pic, or shall I add 1 more panel, making it 4 panels in total, so as to make it more of a solid wall of coverage?

Which will be more effective?

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Wall Treatment Coverage !-08-my-acoustic-panel-frame-3.jpg   Rear Wall Treatment Coverage !-20200129_231052_resized.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

You are not going to over do the back wall so I would put another panel up if it will fit. Feel free to post other pictures so we can see if we see anything else.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks Glenn.

There's 4 gaps of 7" = 28" so I could fit one more in (24" wide)

Was just curious whether having the small gaps in-between the panels along with the 6" gap from the wall behind the panels would be beneficial in a way that's better than filling the space with one more panel?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfye17 View Post
Thanks Glenn.

There's 4 gaps of 7" = 28" so I could fit one more in (24" wide)

Was just curious whether having the small gaps in-between the panels along with the 6" gap from the wall behind the panels would be beneficial in a way that's better than filling the space with one more panel?
Another panel will be more beneficial than the gaps. Keep the 6" spacing from the wall - some sound will travel through and then be absorbed again by the rear of the panel.

You can get an idea of how air gaps and different absorber materials behave if you have a play with this: http://www.acousticmodelling.com/porous.php

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search