The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WOW!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

WOW!

WOW pretty much sums it up.

Treated my room with thick acoustic foam on my reflection points and added 60cmx60cmx30cm thick bass traps in the corners and topped it off with sonarworks and just WOW.

So clear and less boomy. I can actually hear what I’m doing now.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
WOW pretty much sums it up.

Treated my room with thick acoustic foam on my reflection points and added 60cmx60cmx30cm thick bass traps in the corners and topped it off with sonarworks and just WOW.

So clear and less boomy. I can actually hear what I’m doing now.
Told ya : D
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Foam?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Jason Foi's Avatar
 

Measurements or it didn't happen.....




Jk, congrats, glad youre happy with your room
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Foam?
It’s good thick foam that absorbs down to about 300hz. Not the usual cheap 1” thick stuff. It’s approx 3.5” thick. I had acoustic panels and they were no better. Before both I was getting approx 16db boost in the low end. Now with the room treated i was getting boosts of between 3db and 6db in the low end. With sonarworks I’m getting no boosts now. I did a quick track last night and mastered it quickly. Put the track on my pioneer decks and a/b’d it with a produced mainstream track and it sounded very, very similar in bass and mids. I could never get that before so it’s done something right.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

The room even without sonar works isn't had bad so the foam panels are obviously doing something. ..
Attached Thumbnails
WOW!-screenshot-2020-01-29-19.41.40.jpg   WOW!-screenshot-2020-01-29-19.41.50.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Foam?
Foam makes the mix soundstage more plausible and better resolution between sources. One tile (e.g. between monitors) can make a HUGE difference as the OP has discovered. Thanks for posting this info OP: it's about the sound!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

I forgot to screenshot it before any treatment and it was crazy boosting in the mid to low end. The high end was also up and down.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Which foam did you get? It's not that easy to find that thickness.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Foam?
Foam is not bad if thick enough and a full block (no cut ways). In all of my testing fiberglass does work better but foam can work. Make sure though you buy from a company that shows testing WITH REPORTS, anything else is a crapshoot. Just showing some chart is not enough. A lot of companies lie about testing and just post whatever.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 

I used a few twin sized Ikea foam mattresses to make 6' x 3' x 4" absorbers. They work just as well as my 703 based absorbers.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
I used a few twin sized Ikea foam mattresses to make 6' x 3' x 4" absorbers. They work just as well as my 703 based absorbers.
I also use Ikea memory foam (which are offcuts where I trimmed the mattress); I cut these and inserted them into pillowcases; I use these as scatter cushions on the sofa and chairs where they act as absorbers and also mobile baffles.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
I used a few twin sized Ikea foam mattresses to make 6' x 3' x 4" absorbers. They work just as well as my 703 based absorbers.

Not saying it might not be as good but without testing how would you really know, which was my whole point above.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Starlight's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
I used a few twin sized Ikea foam mattresses ...
I had no idea that Ikea uses open-cell foam, I thought it was closed-cell. Can
I ask where you managed to find the specs for Ikea’s foam? Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #15
Gear Addict
 

With the IKEA matress it can of course vary over the years, -what kind of foam it is and open cells or not, change of manufacturer.

A member at a Swedish forum measured different kinds of damping material in an impedance tube Ø 100 mm x 1100 cm long. A 4" wideband speaker at one end, the other end open with damping material and microphone in between. Among them an IKEA matress 7 cm thick with one side "waffled". The others were sheeps wool, polyester wool, Gullfiber =glass wool (about 15 kg/m³), Twaron (=Kevlar) wool, acoustic wool (synthetic sold for loudspeaker stuffing). The intent was to find out best type of stuffing inside a loudspeaker, -change of cabinet resonance and its Q-value due to increase of the cabinets' virtual volume and how the damping varied over the frequency range.

His findings in a diagram: https://www.faktiskt.io/phpBB3/viewt...66626#p1066626
The upper curve is the empty tube, then the resullts of the various damping materials below. His findings:
Acoustic wool have the best damping properties, no matter what frequency.
Sheeps wool and Twaron both give good damping at all frequencies.
Polyester wool is the least effective in the mids and second worst in the bass.
Glass woll is among the best in the mids but worst in the bass
The IKEA matress isn't especially effective in any frequency range.

Densities for the various materials:
1. Ull / sheeps wool 23g/l
2. IKEA-matress 16g/l
3. Twaron 9g/l
4. Gullfiber / glass wool 15g/l
5. Polyester 17g/l
6. Acoustic wool 26g/l

For absorbers I think one must consider the total thickness used. For "thin" absorbers a "higher" air flow resisitvity, for very deep ones 300+ mm or so use fluffy fiber with low air flow resisitvity.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

These are the measurements for the foam I have used.

Below is the Foams Random Incidence Sound Absorption (Typical Results) Frequency (hz) to Relative Absorption Coefficient.

125Hz 0.42
250Hz 1.07
500Hz 1.27
1000Hz 1.10
2000Hz 1.13
4000Hz 1.22

NRC 1.04 (104%)

I’d say this correlated well to the before graph I posted. Good stuff.

I think everybody, including myself has fallen for the “foam is crap” rubbish that is thrown around. Yes it isn’t good for bass but for absorbing the highs and mids and down to 3/400ish think it’s actually better than acoustic panels. Far easier to mount. Takes far less room. Cheaper. Easy to replace a single tile if it gets damaged. Etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
NRC 1.04 (104%)
Just a quick nit-picking correction: An absorption coefficient of 1.04 does not mean 104% absorption. That would be impossible: it implies that the material absorbed MORE sound than was present in the room! clearly absurd. An Alpha of 1.04 just means that the sample in the test chamber showed a relative difference of 1.04 as compared to the test chamber without the sample, taking into account the surface area of the sample. That's all. It does not mean that the sample absorbed more sound than was there. Coefficients are not percentages: they are ratios of "sample of size X present in chamber" to "no sample in chamber". Over-unity numbers just mean that the sample absorbed more sound than can be accounted for by the surface area alone. Not that it absorbed more than 100% of the sound. In fact, it is impossible for any material to absorb more than about 96% of the incident sound, no matter how good it is (I don't recall the exact number off hand, but if Andre sees this, I'm sure he will correct me with the right number!)

OK, my ranting waffle doesn't change the fact that the material you used is rather good: it's just something that people often misunderstand when they are looking at absorption coefficient charts and graphs, so it should be pointed out, for clarity. Your material is good, either way!

- Stuart -
Old 2 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
NRC 1.04 (104%)
By defiition NRC is rounded ts .05 down to the 250 Hz band. Something got screwed up,
Old 2 weeks ago
  #19
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
By defiition NRC is rounded ts .05 down to the 250 Hz band. Something got screwed up,
? Don’t understand
Old 2 weeks ago
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
Just a quick nit-picking correction: An absorption coefficient of 1.04 does not mean 104% absorption. That would be impossible: it implies that the material absorbed MORE sound than was present in the room! clearly absurd. An Alpha of 1.04 just means that the sample in the test chamber showed a relative difference of 1.04 as compared to the test chamber without the sample, taking into account the surface area of the sample. That's all. It does not mean that the sample absorbed more sound than was there. Coefficients are not percentages: they are ratios of "sample of size X present in chamber" to "no sample in chamber". Over-unity numbers just mean that the sample absorbed more sound than can be accounted for by the surface area alone. Not that it absorbed more than 100% of the sound. In fact, it is impossible for any material to absorb more than about 96% of the incident sound, no matter how good it is (I don't recall the exact number off hand, but if Andre sees this, I'm sure he will correct me with the right number!)

OK, my ranting waffle doesn't change the fact that the material you used is rather good: it's just something that people often misunderstand when they are looking at absorption coefficient charts and graphs, so it should be pointed out, for clarity. Your material is good, either way!

- Stuart -

I don’t understand all the waffle lol but kind of see what you are saying. It is good foam. Made a massive difference in my room.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
I don’t understand all the waffle lol but kind of see what you are saying. It is good foam. Made a massive difference in my room.
Foam is quite good. it is not cost efficient.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Foam is quite good. it is not cost efficient.
I dunno! Cost me way less than decent acoustic panels.
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
WOW pretty much sums it up.

Treated my room with thick acoustic foam on my reflection points and added 60cmx60cmx30cm thick bass traps in the corners and topped it off with sonarworks and just WOW.

So clear and less boomy. I can actually hear what I’m doing now.
Which acoustic foam did you get?

I am currently about to treat my room and I am looking for the most cost effective and least space stealing means of flattening my room out.

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
  #24
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigLongy View Post
Which acoustic foam did you get?

I am currently about to treat my room and I am looking for the most cost effective and least space stealing means of flattening my room out.

Cheers.
Depending where you are based I do have about 18 tiles left that I’d sell cheap.

Will dig out the receipt where it was from. Can’t remember.
Old 1 week ago
  #25
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
Depending where you are based I do have about 18 tiles left that I’d sell cheap.

Will dig out the receipt where it was from. Can’t remember.
Cheers for the swift reply mate, I've got to completely do my room, it's an absolute mare to do any mixing in there and I'm not in all honesty looking forward to the rewiring part, never mind sorting the acoustics. It has to be done though, I can no longer cope with it the way it is. It is only a small room, but with the limited time I have, I need to make it as efficient and usable as possible.
I am based in Wales, UK.
Old 1 week ago
  #26
Gear Maniac
 

This is where I got it from
https://www.acoustic-foam.co.uk/shop...-acoustic-tile

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump