The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's

Hi forum,

I am going to record an LP with a band (live drums, bass, guitars, vocals) in a cottage and I am are currently researching on all the acoustic pitfalls and benefits that could come along with it,

We are going to record the band playing live at the same time, with only a few overdubs,

How can I make the recordings as vibey and 'live-sounding' as possible? Does anyones alarms go off, when you see the pictures?

I am going to bring carpets, mattresses and rockwool (for some slightly rugged 'built on the spot' absorbers, if we find that they are needed)

I have posted pictures of the cottage. As you can see, the ceiling is relatively high and the surfaces are made of wood,

We have intentionally strayed away from booking a professional studio, as we strive to try and capture a more unique sound, that doesn't sound like the studios in our city,

The band are into recordings from bands like Mercury Rev and other more experimental Dave Fridmann produced bands, Lo-fi mixed with hi-fi, etc.

We want to embrace the imperfections that comes along with not working in a space designed for making music, we just want it to sound vibey and live, in the best possible way,

I have been reading up on the masterful approaches of Mark Howard, which seems like a stretch to even begin to compare with... but you can always dream, right

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's-skaermbillede-2020-01-28-kl.-03.52.42.jpg   Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's-skaermbillede-2020-01-28-kl.-03.52.54.jpg   Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's-skaermbillede-2020-01-28-kl.-03.53.04.jpg   Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's-skaermbillede-2020-01-28-kl.-03.53.13.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nice space!

Bring as many panels, gobos and thick moving blankets as you can and use them as necessary!
Old 3 weeks ago
Well, for starters having such a beautiful log structure beats the hell out of a room full of 2"x4" stick walls and drywall. The thick log walls make for great isolation from the outside world and it looks like you have a good selection of isolation rooms for guitars, vocals, drums, control room if needed.However, the many glass windows will need some treatment to control any unwanted reflections.

I think you will capture a good vibe by using moving blankets to cover the windows where necessary, some portable panels for some walls, a carpet here and there on the floor or walls, some gobos for good measure.

People do it every day with great results,... don't let anyone tell you otherwise, or,... don't not do it,

Take time to learn the sweet spots of the space and press record.

My next move will be something very similar to what you have. A decent sized log home/studio on a lake in northern Ontario with a view to die for providing inspiration.

Good luck and look forward to hearing the results if you intend on posting them.

Blue Rodeo - "In The Darkness" (The Farmhouse Sessions):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFDM...ByMy1s&index=3

Blue Rodeo - "Tara's Blues" (The Farmhouse Sessions):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4u5...ByMy1s&index=1

Blue Rodeo - "Over Me" (The Farmhouse Sessions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Wk...yMy1s&index=11
Attached Thumbnails
Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's-1.jpg   Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's-2.jpg   Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's-3.jpg   Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's-4.jpg   Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's-5.jpg  

Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's-6.jpg   Recording in a Cottage - Looking for the Do's and Dont's-7.jpg  

Last edited by Roll Tape; 3 weeks ago at 10:35 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Nice space!

Bring as many panels, gobos and thick moving blankets as you can and use them as necessary!
Yep. This. I often record in spaces like that (spent a month in a church, two long sessions in country houses etc) and and the building of a bunch of DIY gobos (and I mean a bunch, like 10-15) is always necessary to tame some of the reflections.

R.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My one suggestion from recording in an big place is to put a mic in a room, basement or hallway as far from the band as possible and use it as a hall/room/reverb mic.

I did this recently and was able to use that one mic (with some low pass/high pass applied) to create a great room vibe that allowed me to get a great reverb sound without using as many plugs for verb.
Old 3 weeks ago
Nice space.
Hanging blankets over mic stands and such is a given for reflections, but I agree with others about the nice wooden structure and the isolation that it will give.

I would first find the best spot for the drums, since they take up the most space and often are the elements with the most room sound. Play the snare while you walk it around the room finding the best spot. Listen hard. Have others listen. Move that furniture too. Once you have the drums figured out, it's just a matter of everyone being able to see one another.

Good luck. These types of recordings are my favorites.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you all for the responses, I'm feeling beyond grateful

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search