The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Constant resonance regardless of set up
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Constant resonance regardless of set up

Hi All.

I've just set up my hobby studio into a new untreated space and am having huge problems with a resonance/ringing around 200hz. It's overpowering at even the lowest levels on my tiny JBL 104s unless I stack EQs to notch out around 30db at 200hz...even then it's still clearly there.

I assume this is down to the room dimensions (3.29m L x 2.2m W x 2.49m H) and so am looking into treatment options. First thought is building floor to ceiling bass traps for 4 corners and some broadband panels for the side walls. I've carried out a deeply unscientific walkaround check with a test tone and these appear to be the problem areas with my current setup - which is desk on short wall, monitors 1.2m apart, mixing position 1.4m into length of room.

The thing is, I've tried all kinds of different desk and speaker placements, getting really impractical and crazy just to see what happens. No matter what I change, I always get the most extreme peak on the test tone when I am in a mixing position equilateral triangle with the speakers, regardless of where they're placed in the room. Walking around mitigates this as expected. Playing back a track however, the resonance is constant. It's especially obvious on kicks.

My question really is should I even bother with treatment, and if so does my plan sound like a good start? Are bass traps going to give the most benefit at 200hz? I'm wondering if what I'm dealing with here is a room reverb which would be better dealt with by broadband panels on more walls, or if it just cant be fixed in such a small room.

Any thoughts really greatly appreciated, I love making music and this is the first time I've been able to set up a studio space in 10 years, so I'm kind of devastated that it's currently unusable for me!

I've viewed hundreds of threads on this kind of thing but still not sure what to make of what I'm reading, so thanks for indulging me...

Thanks folks
Old 3 weeks ago
If you have an omni mic, can you measure your room? Room modes always have at least two spots: Full along the walls and spots in the room where there's no sound pressure. If you have that resonance all over the room, it's probably not a room mode.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Johann. So if it turns out it's not a room mode, would trapping in the form of floor to ceiling superchunks in each corner even make a difference? I dont have a mic but my walkaround reveals obvious peaks and nulls (peaks at corners, side walls, and always in what should be the sweet spot between the monitors regardless of their positioning), whereas playing a 909 kick for example the resonance is constant all around the room. It certainly doesn't disappear in the nulls. I'm confused and trying to get my head around this!

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonics22 View Post
I'm confused and trying to get my head around this!
Then do measurements in different spots to reduce the confusion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I appreciate your advice buy don't understand how measurements will help. I already know what the room sounds like, I've spent many hours in it listening and making notes of what does and doesn't change. True I don't have exact db readings in exact spots, but I know from my ears that a 200hz test tone goes from painful to non-existent by moving a few inches, whereas a kick drum with a narrow 200hz bp filter sounds exactly the same. I'm not sure how knowing the numbers will help me understand why that is, or whether there's a way of treating it?

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonics22 View Post
I appreciate your advice buy don't understand how measurements will help. I already know what the room sounds like, I've spent many hours in it listening and making notes of what does and doesn't change. True I don't have exact db readings in exact spots, but I know from my ears that a 200hz test tone goes from painful to non-existent by moving a few inches, whereas a kick drum with a narrow 200hz bp filter sounds exactly the same. I'm not sure how knowing the numbers will help me understand why that is, or whether there's a way of treating it?

Thanks
Here's how. And why: How to calibrate and use REW to test and tune your room acoustics That will guide you through the basic process of how to do the acoustic analysis of your room. You can then post the resulting "MDAT" file here, and there's several folks who can analyze it for you, and let you know what the problems are, and what to do about them.

There's also this: Soundman "Walking Mic" test procedure, for finding optimum mix position location (and other things) that shows you a method you can follow to help you find the optimum location for your mix position.

It's not about "knowing the numbers": it's about doing a complete acoustic analysis of the room, and looking at the results. Frequency response isn't even the most important issue in small rooms, so measuring dB levels at different frequencies isn't all that useful (however, REW does that with very high accuracy too: far higher than your ears could ever do). The real problems in a small room are in the time-domain, not the frequency domain. Also called "decay times". REW can tell you all about those, in many different ways, which is what you really need to know.

- Stuart -

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search