The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NS-10 response, is this normal?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

NS-10 response, is this normal?

I've recently added some extra bass trapping in my room, so I've been taking lots of measurements. I've noticed my NS-10Ms have an odd response when measured together, with big dips at 8.5k and 14k. Is this typical, or are my tweeters out of phase/something wrong. I'm attaching a pic of my measurements. The purpleish lines are each speaker by themselves, the green line is them playing together.

Any help is appreciated,
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
NS-10 response, is this normal?-ns10s.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, it is normal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
Unless you´re doing multiple measurements (perhaps in order to locate a good initial position) in different locations (this is in my opinion not very important if before treatment analysis, since any improvements due to acoustic treatment is likely to be observed in others locations as well but the actual sweet spot is the most important location), it´s a good idea to make sure that the measurement microphone is positioned exactly in-between the left and right speaker. If not, you´ll see the effects of constructive and destructive interference in the frequency response when recording both speakers simultaneously, especially in the higher range.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FR graph tells very little of the story. ETC would be more helpful, but yes, you will certainly get comb filtering when combining L+R. You are REALLY zoomed in which makes it look more dramatic. If your room is heavily treated, i would try to eq the worst offenders and see how that looks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Ok, thanks you the replies. I wasn't hearing anything weird, so probably a Mic placement thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What you worried about your graph looks fine. Spectrum view would be handy but..... +/- 6db across most the spectrum and +/- 4 db from 110 hz to 14 khz -so its pretty good actually. Remember your graph is 2 db per line on the y-axis - most people have it on 5db per line - so yours is more zoomed in and looks wavier for this reason - what smoothing are you using?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmorris74 View Post
Ok, thanks you the replies. I wasn't hearing anything weird, so probably a Mic placement thing.
Sort of! But not really.
As Jason mentioned, it is comb filtering. That is due to the signals from both speakers being identical and arriving at your measurement mic with miniscule timing/phase differences. But your ears would NEVER hear what that graph is showing, ... because you have two ears, located in different places in the room! Different from each other, and different from where the mic was. So there would be no comb filtering for what matters; your hearing. The graph only shows that because it is one single mic picking up two identical signals.

Also, you would pretty much never have the situation where both speakers are producing the exact same identical thing (unless you mix only pure tones in mono....). With normal stereo music, there are very different signals going out through each speaker. Thus, even if you had just one single ear planted on the tip of your nose, you still would not hear what that graph is showing.

In short: when you test your room with REW, use BOTH channels for looking at the low end of the spectrum, and use only ONE channel at a time for looking at the high end, and also for looking at the low end.

- Stuart -
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Gusss, I was using 1/6 octave smoothing.

Stuart, your post makes a lot of sense, thanls!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmorris74 View Post
I've noticed my NS-10Ms have an odd response when measured together, with big dips at 8.5k and 14k.
Are the speakers laying on it's sides (landscape) or standing?
(Laying will make angling more picky...)

Objects (keyboard, mixer, etc) or other reflecting objects placed non symmetrical, close to the loudspeakers?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search