The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vibration Isolation Options for Refrigerator
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Vibration Isolation Options for Refrigerator

Okay, we have a basement studio, the space is untreated, and structurally the space is highly varied and unsymmetrical, and the heating system, oh the heating system... and a drum set five feet to the right of my monitoring position that is highly resonant, and speaking of monitoring, we’re talking low end studio monitors, so right off the bat, I have a lot of problems that I’ve just been living with, and will have to live with for many years to come. So please understand the context of this question. I’m not in a position to throw money at problems, the best I can do is exploit ingenuity, and unfortunately, I’ve run out of most of my own, that’s where y’all come in!

BUT! There is one noise problem that I just cannot take anymore! It has driven me crazy from the beginning, but for the past year and a half, I’ve swallowed hard, clenched my teeth and powered on. But I’ve just had a flip out, I really want this to stop.

Again, I’m in the basement of a home, the kitchen is above me on the first floor. My monitoring position is about six feet from a wall, my monitors are about two feet off that wall facing me. On the floor above me, against that wall, about three to four feet to the right of my sweet spot, there is a sh!tty refrigerator that seems to run near constantly, or perhaps constantly. It hums around 100-60hz (I haven’t measured it), with this about 3/4 or 1hz pitch oscillation. Wub wub wub wub all day long.

I don’t have sound measuring equipment, I suppose there is an app that can do that... but it isn’t too loud, untrained ears probably wouldn’t even hear it unless you pointed it out to them. I cannot hear it when monitoring at my standard writing volume, which is a little more jacked than my mixing volume, where I can faintly hear it.

Man, that was a lot of set up to ask this: is there an extremely inexpensive way that I can decouple the fridge from the floor, my ceiling, to prevent the transmission of these vibrations? If I did mechanically decouple the fridge, would there still be trouble with sound transmission making the mechanical decoupling pointless?

I’m having fantasies about lifting the fridge onto a 3/4” sheet of plywood with many cut in half tennis balls underneath. Is this a pipe dream?

What would y’all recommend? The mistress of the house would have to be okay with the aesthetics of the solution as well!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I bet the Mistress of the house would love a new modern fridge that would not only be quiet for your sake, but also save money over the course of its life.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have used an off cut of the underlay material that is used under floating timber floors and a piece of 6mm ply under a dishwasher to try to gain some vibration isolation.

My situation is a bit different, in that I was just trying to cut down on the rumble being transmitted through floor boards to other parts of the house. Results are not fantastic but for a no- cost solution (as materials are fairly easily scrounged as off-cuts) the improvement is noticeable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search