The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
3” Acoustic Panel Placement
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

3” Acoustic Panel Placement

I’m wondering if there are any specific things to look out for when using 2” and 3” acoustic treatment for my room. I currently have the room treated with a Primacoustic London 12 kit and GIK tri-traps from floor to ceiling in the front corners. My room is 14’ x 24’. I’m looking to add treatment as the Kit I currently have doesn’t fill the amount of sq ft I’m dealing with. Room is currently used for tracking for mixing, tracking vocals, and some guitar.

I want to improve the bass response in my room while adding the necessary treatment my current sq ft requires. I was thinking of purchasing some 3” 24x48 Primacoustic Broadband panels and putting them in place of my 2” panels at the first reflection points and moving the 2” panels back down the wall. My main goal is to get the best response at the listening position.

Also, will placing a rug at the listening position help with floor to ceiling reflections? My landlord won’t let me hang anything from the ceiling so I’m not able to utilize a cloud.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would place 2" and 3" panels in front of each other to thicken them up as at that thickness they really are not broadband when they are that thin. 4" absolute minimum, 8" is better. You cannot trick frequencies and their wavelengths.

Why can you not use a cloud? Make a floor-standing, free-standing structure, look at a pagola to get an idea of its design, and attach your cloud to it - or hang the cloud from it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the info. I probably won’t stack them because I still have sq footage that is untreated so I need to use this next purchase to take care of that.

Do you think it’s a waste to throw in some 3” panels? Should I just buy some more 2”? I’m trying to figure out the best way to spend about $600 on my next purchase. A set of 4 3” 24x48 panels are running for $499.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM7 View Post
Thanks for the info. I probably won’t stack them because I still have sq footage that is untreated so I need to use this next purchase to take care of that.

Do you think it’s a waste to throw in some 3” panels? Should I just buy some more 2”? I’m trying to figure out the best way to spend about $600 on my next purchase. A set of 4 3” 24x48 panels are running for $499.
Honestly if you can find supplies at your nearest hardware store and are willing to do the DIY work, I would really recommend spending that 600 and making panels that are least 6 - 8 inches thick. I spent under a thousand dollars Canadian and built 20, six inch thick panels using 2x4 foot Roxul SnS (2 3" pieces stacked) all hardware included in cost.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Its best to use bass traps to improve the bass response. 2-3" panels are for mids and highs. You can make the panels you have more effective in the lows by spacing off of the wall.

If you do get the panels, staddle them across the room corners, floor to ceiling and fill the void behind with loosely packed fluffy fiberglass.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ok, so I guess the question I was trying to ask is, can I benefit from incorporating 3” panels with all the 2” I already have? Just to clarify, this next purchase will be used to treat the remaining parallel walls that have not been treated yet. Basically, I have a 24ft long room and only half of the left and right walls are treated. Room already has sufficient bass trapping in the corners.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3" panels will go lower than 2" generally speaking, all other things being equal.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM7 View Post
Ok, so I guess the question I was trying to ask is, can I benefit from incorporating 3” panels with all the 2” I already have? Just to clarify, this next purchase will be used to treat the remaining parallel walls that have not been treated yet. Basically, I have a 24ft long room and only half of the left and right walls are treated. Room already has sufficient bass trapping in the corners.
Maybe a better question would be: what does your specific room need right now? Maybe those panels are exactly what you need, and maybe they would not do anything useful. Your best bet would be to first analyze the room's acoustic response using REW, to see how it is performing right now, then based on that you can decide if you need 2" panels, 3" panels, 6" panels, diffusion, or something else. Or a combination. Here's a link to a tutorial on how to calibrate and use REW to test and tune your room acoustics

Guessing is not a good way to treat a room. It make more sense to find out what it is doing right, what it is doing wrong, what treatment it needs, then use whatever money you have available to treat whatever the biggest problem happens to be right now.

- Stuart -

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search