The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Another Treatment Inquiry
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Another Treatment Inquiry

I’ve been tracking drums and doing some mixing in my space- a converted detached garage. For the most part, I’m really happy with what I’ve made, thanks to the help I’ve found in this group. I’m using the space more regularly for recording projects, and I think it’s time to finally take more steps with my acoustic treatments. I’d love to field any advice I can get here!

The space is 23.75 x 13.5. The ceiling slants from one long wall to the other- from 9’ to 7.5’. Right now, I have drums in front of one short wall, and my computer rig towards the center of one of the long walls (where the ceiling is lower)... ceilings and walls are all double drywall w/green glue- the floor is a concrete slab, with thin carpet. Monitors are B&W 805s and Yamaha HS8s. I track guitars in an adjacent room-

I currently have 4” bass traps/absorbers in each corner, made from fiberglass batt insulation, from floor to ceiling. The traps are rectangular, basically just standing in each corner, with air behind them. I have 4 large 2” absorbers (48” wide) from floor to ceiling, spaced out on on the wall facing my computer. I have 2 additional 2” absorbers behind my monitors (6’ tall).

The short wall behind my drums has big amps in front of it— 3 big 15” bass cabinets, 2 4x12s. The short wall across the room from the drums has 3 fairly giant gobos stuffed with insulation in front of it.

I just purchased a few heavy wooden QRD diffusers- 11.5" deep. Two are 50"x39.5”, stackable, which I’m thinking I would set on the wall behind my drums. I also have another smaller QRD diffuser- Dimensions are 50"x24"x8"

The folks at GiK recommend I snag some of their half-cylindrical profusors to hang on walls around the drums- they’ve suggested some small cloud absorbers above the mix position.

I’d love to hear what else I can do here- where the best place for these QRD diffusers may be, whether my mix position might be better on the short wall instead of the long wall, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I really think the dimensions should work to get a lovely, spacious drum room tone. I’m recording rock music- generally of the more aggressive independent variety, but really all sorts of music. looking for a clear, natural presentation. As it stands, the room is bright. The low end is big, but I am personally pretty happy with the weight it imparts to kick and toms. I hope I can get the room to sound lively and natural, but I’d still like to be able to mix there if I can.

Just wanted to check in with everyone so I can finally get this place dialed in for the long run!
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks Jens! So diffusion on the far walls, absorbers up close, and some absorbers above the drums

Do I need to do anything specific regarding thickness, ideal materials, etc for the clouds above the drums? I see lots of different things seem to work, but any help narrowing it down for best practice would be fantastic

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Reading this it seems like you have enough and a decent grasp on it. You are saying you want the punch but more lively and I dont think you can accomplish both in a room that size with that ceiling height and also have it sound good for mixing. I am a fan of sound absorbing blankets to use like and move around and divide rooms and absorb sound. Id add some movable stuff.

What are you doing for vocals? I personally worry less about drums because of triggering and software and editing capabilities. I mean for a home studio. If this were a professional studio Id never say that. But you need this room to sound good for everything and you can "fake" great drums and guitars but the issues will come out in vocals and mixing.

Just my opinion. Basically saying, get used to what you have and make it work vs searching for "perfect".
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

You might be right, I might be sorta limited with what I can actually accomplish.

As far as triggers and all that stuff go- generally speaking I try and avoid all of that unless that’s what the band is looking for, even though it absolutely makes things easier!! For metal I see that stuff as being part of the sound, but my ideal is getting usable, organic rock music sounds. FWIW, I have another room I use for vocals, and another I use for isolating amps while minimizing bleed into the drum room mics

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and commit to nailing the space as a drum room, instead of a combo drum/mix space.

Does anyone think ceiling clouds are going to make a tremendous difference here? Is my room just not big enough?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtlnts View Post
You might be right, I might be sorta limited with what I can actually accomplish.

As far as triggers and all that stuff go- generally speaking I try and avoid all of that unless that’s what the band is looking for, even though it absolutely makes things easier!! For metal I see that stuff as being part of the sound, but my ideal is getting usable, organic rock music sounds. FWIW, I have another room I use for vocals, and another I use for isolating amps while minimizing bleed into the drum room mics

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and commit to nailing the space as a drum room, instead of a combo drum/mix space.

Does anyone think ceiling clouds are going to make a tremendous difference here? Is my room just not big enough?

Ceiling reflections are generally not useful or flattering when ceilings are not high. A cloud above the mix position and above the drum kit are pretty much "standard" to me. Think about how close the overhead mics are to the ceiling. With an 8' ceiling they could be closer to the ceiling than the drums!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search