The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I add a sub to my midfield monitors
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Should I add a sub to my midfield monitors

First time post here I hope that this hasn’t been posted about before!
Ok so I have a relatively small studio. 13’x20’x9’. It has an adjacent open hallway and another little alcove that make the acoustic space a little larger. My room is decently treated (supertraps in the corners and 4” thick 703 panels at first reflection points and clouds too). My speakers are ADAM audio S4X-V’s. They are a bit big for my space but I love the way they sound.
Anyway room EQ wizard tells me I still have a dip around 100hz and then a little slope off after..

Will a sub help me? I have a chance to get the sub 8 from ADAM for kinda cheap and it’s tempting. I make modern sounding music and I really like the lows...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you have a sub you can flip it on and off with either built in remote switching or a monitor controller.

The 100hz dip could very well be due to a cancellation caused between the floor and speaker.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
If you have a sub you can flip it on and off with either built in remote switching or a monitor controller.

The 100hz dip could very well be due to a cancellation caused between the floor and speaker.
I’m positive it’s a reflective cancellation. Though I have done what I can to mitigate it.. I have two floor to ceiling meter thick traps right next to the speakers. I have 4” of 703 right behind the speakers as well as above (cloud). I have a huge bass trap on the bottom two-way front corner as well.
bass frequencies don’t follow directions and the dip could be from all sorts of reflective angles...
Anyway, I know I could turn a sub on and off I just want to know a good pairing for my Adam S4X-V monitors. I wonder if a sub8 will be enough...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
I have read this thread.. with all due respect the monitors they are talking about and pairing in that thread are tiny $200 entry monitors. I am curious about pairing with 3-way midfield monitors, particularly the S4X-V’s. These were close to $10,000 new and already have 12” speakers and move quite a lot of air...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosannas View Post
I have read this thread.. with all due respect the monitors they are talking about and pairing in that thread are tiny $200 entry monitors. I am curious about pairing with 3-way midfield monitors, particularly the S4X-V’s. These were close to $10,000 new and already have 12” speakers and move quite a lot of air...
So add more powerful subs. Either way; the info in the thread is still relevant.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search