The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Garage Conversion... Options to integrate the garage door, e-panel into dual leaf
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mods please delete thread, thanks.

movin' on...

Last edited by string6theory; 3 weeks ago at 04:43 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Cheers,

I wanted to ask some advice specific to my situation and haven't found an existing thread (other than another current, but somewhat different? garage conversion), but if I have missed one or more, please do lmk. In any case, I hope this thread may also be helpful to others.

This is a 2-car attached garage conversion into a dual leaf structured CR and Live/tracking room. The 2-car aluminum garage door that's part of the outer wall (leaf) needs to stay in place, as does the large e-panel, both as part of their respective walls. And, the outside of the garage door needs to be left open and unaffected, essentially looking exactly the same before and after the conversion.

Structurally, the 3 outside walls of the garage are a mix of 1" thick stucco concrete, 1" plywood, large stone facade and concrete blocks (backed by dirt) for walls - plus the attached wall, concrete slab for the floor and wood / lining / shingles on the roof.

Inside dimensions are 25' W x 20' D x 13' at angled ceiling apex. The inner rooms within a room will be spilt at roughly the half way width mark with two walls that include a double door and double CR window (7' W x 3' H). The contractor will be utilizing 2x4 stud assembly, fluffy insulation, 5/8" DW, GG, 5/8" DW, acoustic calk, (then inside room treatment). We're also contemplating adding a 3rd GG + 5/8" DW layer to the inner leaf to make up for the outer leaf's structural compromises.

Specifically, I'd like to ask for advice and options to best integrate the thin aluminum garage door and the big metal e-panel into their respective outer leafs, such that they will not become the (sound transmission) weak links in the otherwise (and hopefully) well-sealed and constructed dual leaf structure as part of the MSM system.

The plan has been to cut to size and friction fit fill ALL the approximately 2-1/2" deep aluminum panel openings that are part of the garage door (see pics) with rock wool to dampen it, then tightly overlay 2 layers of MLV on top the rock wool / door assembly and nailed onto the wood studs that surround and frame the garage door - which will be completely sealed of air holes and any cracks around the periphery.

A new leaf section will then be assembled against the inside of the dual MLV/RW/garage door assembly, extending and connecting to the existing wall to complete the sealed outer leaf. As the desired air gap between the leafs is 2" of air or 9" sheathing to sheathing, after projecting a large section of the wall another 4" or so into the room, this will make the rest of the straight dual leaf "air" gap inside, 6", so as to maintain the 2" air gap in between the garage door assembly and the inner leaf.

We have a similar plan for the large metal e-panel, except just using 3 to 4 layers of MLV sealed around the backside of the panel, which goes completely through the wall, just as a window. So, it essential IS a window with a metal box stuffed into the frame.

Just as MLV can be a good FLEXIBLE sound and vibration isolator for metal pipes and such, it could perhaps be a good option to help seal up and dampen the segmented aluminum garage door and thin steel e-box, in this application.

But, this is where I'd appreciate any advise and recommendations that could produce better sound isolation results, per previous experiences, testing, or best practices over the years with similar garage conversions into recording studios - where the crappy old garage door had to remain in place.

The goal is to maximize the rooms' sound isolation, given the standard dual leaf MSM style system limits. I also want to avoid turning the garage door wall into a triple leaf assembly, thus making it likely the weak link in the system.

I've attached pictures of the current state of the garage conversion for visual reference. Please feel free to ask any questions if I have missed providing any crucial info.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

that's impressive. good job you did there

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search