The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for Best Mix Position in This Strange Layout
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Looking for Best Mix Position in This Strange Layout

Hey All

I have a bizarre room layout that I'm stuck with for the time being (semi-converted basement) And I'm looking to make the most out of the room while finding the best mix position since I also use it for tracking.

Ideally, once I have the positioning fleshed out I'm going to invest in bass traps/treatment for the room. I built two 2'x4'x3" traps but I have budgeted to get the mix position fairly well treated once I have my placement worked out.

Some info on the room: fully carpeted, all walls are drywall except the top and bottom walls which are the concrete foundation, ceiling is 8' tall for the most part and is just insulation with fabric stapled over it. I use the top left portion of the room for drum tracking right now since its the biggest open space and I'd prefer to leave that open for tracking if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Best Mix Position in This Strange Layout-screen-shot-2020-01-25-12.19.58-pm.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Id start with speakers centered at the top wall. This gives you the most depth, and has most of the asymmetries behind you. This is going to take some trial and error, and measurement to really hone in.

Next place id try is with the speakers in the jog in the right center of the drawing, with them projecting out into the open room.

The more corners you can treat with bass traps the better.

After trying those two spots id try others that make sense logistically in the space, compare notes, then start fine tuning the best starting point.

Best of luck.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Kyle! That top wall doesn't really work out in a real world scenario with needing that top left space for tracking. I rearranged to that second position you mentioned and I'll do some measurements tomorrow, I'm thinking it'll be significantly better than my previous placement.

Since the monitors would be fairly close to the wall behind them, would it be recommended to place traps directly behind the rear ports? and if so, would they need to be 4"+ traps since it's mostly bass being ported out the back or would 2" panels be ok?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcusano7 View Post
Thanks Kyle! That top wall doesn't really work out in a real world scenario with needing that top left space for tracking. I rearranged to that second position you mentioned and I'll do some measurements tomorrow, I'm thinking it'll be significantly better than my previous placement.

Since the monitors would be fairly close to the wall behind them, would it be recommended to place traps directly behind the rear ports? and if so, would they need to be 4"+ traps since it's mostly bass being ported out the back or would 2" panels be ok?
I would straddle that entire corner so it was flat behind the speakers, to maximize the depth of the trap, and give a nice wide face for the trap. If you have 4" use that, if its 2" use that. Either way, filling the entire cavity behind the front panel, with fluffy insulation.

The corner to the top left is a great place for a deep trap in this configuration.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search