The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass traps not exactly in corner worthwhile?
Old 4 weeks ago
Bass traps not exactly in corner worthwhile?

Hi guys!

I'm hoping to finally do some basic acoustic treatment this year in my home bedroom which is also my listening room, rather for pleasure than work, though I do tinker with home recording a bit for own enjoyment.

The room is not really favourable, but it's what I have, so let be it It's a rectangle 13.5x12.8x9.2.

The desk with spekers is on a longer wall, not exactly dead center, but close. My early reflection points are a bit of pain, as on the right I have a big door opening to the rest of the house and on the left I have a floor-to-ceiling windows on almost whole wall, so what I could do is to hang curtains there.

Early reflections on the ceiling are yet untreated.

I'm hoping to start with the back wall and back corners, as it's a big reflective surface right now. My idea is to start with bass traps in the corners to combat some of the room modes first. And here comes the trouble.

While in the one corner I'm free to do whatever is sensible, bass traps floor to ceiling included, the other corner has heating piping and a radiator very close to the wall.

Is it worthwile/okay to put traps distanced few inches from the actual corner, not exactly on the corner? Would these be effective? I always read that for bass trapping corners are much preferred than other locations and I'm not sure if that still qualifies as a corner. I am looking at free-standing tube traps for that corner to put them on the floor and stack up.

Also, is it a good idea to put traps on floor-to-wall corner on the floor? I could do that easily, in contrast to ceiling-to-wall which won't be that easy.

Having said that, I know there is only so much one can do with limited space for acoustic treatment, as the coverage and thickness is important, but I think that even a little is better than none.

Thanks a lot for your time!
M.
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanks Jens.

I've read this thread and many other of your comprehensive replies a while ago, big thanks for that!

I understood that it's most often not enough to treat just corners, because corners are not the only places affected by room modes, and other areas should be treated too. I'm still a bit unsure though how bad not treating one of the corners, but instead treating other places, would be. In other words, is leaving out a corner a cardinal offence and I should do whatever I can to find a way to treat the exact corner too, or - if I work as much as I can on other surfaces - it's passable to leave it be.

All that under assumption that I most likely won't achieve enough coverage either way to have a really good results. Any improvement for me is worthwhile.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maticomp View Post
Thanks Jens.

I've read this thread and many other of your comprehensive replies a while ago, big thanks for that!

I understood that it's most often not enough to treat just corners, because corners are not the only places affected by room modes, and other areas should be treated too. I'm still a bit unsure though how bad not treating one of the corners, but instead treating other places, would be. In other words, is leaving out a corner a cardinal offence and I should do whatever I can to find a way to treat the exact corner too, or - if I work as much as I can on other surfaces - it's passable to leave it be.

All that under assumption that I most likely won't achieve enough coverage either way to have a really good results. Any improvement for me is worthwhile.

Thanks!
Forget about the corners. Do a modal analysis and threat the relevant areas. Treating only corners is something you do if you don't know what your problem is or how to fix it. Finding out what the problem is and how to fix it will dictate what areas are relevant.

Also, even if your only problem is the 1.1.0 mode (or other tangential mode in horizontal plane); you would still not want to treat only the corners as discussed in the post linked to above. You need to cover a lot of relevant surface area with something that is effective at the frequency range of interest (very deep if velocity based absorber).
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanks! Measurements first, treatment second then. I thought so, but was under impression that corners are paramount at all times.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search