The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Free standing drum practice room?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Free standing drum practice room?

Hey guys. FYI, I have a similar post over on John Sayers, but I think there is more traffic here, so am asking here too.

I have a small drum practice space in my garage, and I've been working through what would be involved in doing a room in a room thing for that. The space is small and I got to wondering what would be involved in building a whole new structure in the "back 40" (further from the neighbors anyway) just for this purpose?

For a 12x12' practice area, with the primary consideration being sound isolation, how would you go about designing this? I was thinking of ideas like a 16x16' structure where you entered and there could be a 2' air gap/hallway around the inner 12x12' room. But that was just off the top of my head. How would you go about it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is this a continuation of Getting natural light in to soundproofed area? or is this a different building?

Location: further away from the neighbours sounds helpful. There will be other examples but I have recently read dowiedrum's New Studio Build Underway which, I think, will have enough similarities with your need that you can glean a lot from his write-up.

Design: I would make sure it is not a square building as you will have more modal issues to deal with than if you had a building with unrelated dimensions. There is no need to build according to one of the golden ratios but it is worth understanding the maths behind them, at least enough that you understand why square is not the best shape.

2' air gap: you could. Read up about MSM (Mass Spring Mass), aka MAM (Mass Air Mass) to understand how a room in a room system works. The air, which is filled with fluffy insulation, is the spring inside two airtight walls (or rooms, if you prefer). The way you design and build the two rooms (outer and inner) will determine how much of your drumming noise stays within the building, formally talked about as TL (Transmission Loss). With drums you will likely be producing something in the region of 110dB. A typical home studio, well designed and well built, can often provide 60dB of TL, meaning that 50dB will be heard outside your studio. That level drops off with distance, so being further away from your property's boundary and the neighbours helps. Depending on where you are in the world, your local authority will likely have regulations about how much noise you are allowed to make, during the day and at night.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This approach would be an alternative to the "natural light" thread. In that case I'm trying to squeeze a room-in-a-room into a small existing space, as opposed to making a whole new structure as here.

Good point about the square; I had not considered that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What is the price difference between concrete block and wood frame construction in your area and where is your area?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
What is the price difference between concrete block and wood frame construction in your area and where is your area?
I'm in Tucson. Concrete block construction is competitive here (need to research exact numbers). Indeed, I was thinking block for the outer wall (leaf) might be a nice option, and the weather is mild enough that it could be left as-is if desired. I am a little vague on the acoustic (isolation) desirability of block, but it certainly has the mass going for it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have a look at IR-586. Block is clearly superior to wood frame construction in the low end.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IR-586.pdf (247.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Given the situation, I'd build it as big as you can without having to pull permits.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search