The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help Building a Jam Room(w/ room within a room)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Help Building a Jam Room(w/ room within a room)

Hi all I am new to the forum and looking for guidance of people that know much more than I.

I recently moved into a new house and am using the basement suite. There is one room we don't use much and I have been told I can make it into a jam room/office for myself. I want to try and soundproof the room the best I can.

At this current moment I am looking for help in planning it. So my idea was to create a room within a room type thing. I don't particularly want to tear down the adjacent interior walls(two facing the interior of the house, two facing the outside of the house). Those walls have no insulation in them just studs and drywall. Luckily for me the two exterior walls are half underground and I don't have to worry about disturbing people below me.

I was wanting to build the inner walls with regular wood studs, rockwool insulation, 2 or 3 layers of 5/8th drywall with green glue in between. Double doors with weather stripping all around and since there is a window in the outer room il be adding a really hefty window in the inner room. Sealent on every crack etc. I also have an idea as to what I am going to do for ventilation so I am not too concerned on that front.

So questions for you all is:

1. What kind of stc rating would this type of plan produce? I play mainly guitar and piano but I want to be able to turn it up and not bother other people in the house.

2. Is this type of plan similar to the triple leaf effect? I understand this isn't a great concept for soundproofing and I want to be sure to avoid it.

3. Is this kind of plan good? also how much space is required in between the outer room and the inner room?

4. Should I be considering using resilient channel, mlv or quietrock for any of this or am I probably okay?

I apologize if I sound like an idiot here, I am definitely out of my element and definitely an idiot so it doesn't help matters lol.

I would love any links, explanations and info about helping to make this room soundproof. I have tried to read a lot about this stuff but there is much I don't understand. As well, if you have any better plans then mine I would love to hear it!

Thank you so much for reading and even more if you comment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks that's a great thread to read.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search