The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is this not a vocal booth that everyone advocates against?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Is this not a vocal booth that everyone advocates against?

https://youtu.be/0td_y36Jxjg

Where is this guy recording and what the hell? What about 2500 qubic feet room as a must that everyone talks about as minimum?

Please share your opinions...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Who is "everyone"?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No. Study why the 2,500'³ came about.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The bare drywall is weird... but, just because he says he just records at his house doesn’t mean that this video was tracked there... in fact, with his bread, that room looks... weird
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What’s the mic? If it’s a short shotgun, does the room matter much?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sennheiser MKH 416, actually line mics are not good in small spaces as the interference tube " gets confused "
- Its a USA habbit to use them for VO

Matti
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I’m not exactly sure what “get confused” means, but my brief experience with using short shotguns as close vocal mics was disappointing. I tried it because I read here that it was a popular “thing” in VO recording.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
No. Study why the 2,500'³ came about.
I need more clues. Where would I study this?
This is a serious question. I’ve learned a lot from reading your posts.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I’m not exactly sure what “get confused” means, but my brief experience with using short shotguns as close vocal mics was disappointing. I tried it because I read here that it was a popular “thing” in VO recording.
The acoustical interference tube expects to hear a clear difference between the straight, front sound and coming from sides to cancel out the sides; in small spaces reflections from the walls etc. kind of makes that difficult. Thats why location recordists
tend to use hyper- or supercardioids for dialoque inside small spaces.

Matti
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I tried a 416 for voice once and it sounded like it was halfway down her throat, I could hear her tonsils. Not good at all, like the opposite of a LDC. Unpleasantly clinical.

But for me nothing would make Eminem sound pleasant. He proves that my dislike of raphiphop is not racial!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need more clues. Where would I study this?
This is a serious quevedsetion. I’ve learned a lot from reading your posts.
In the 70s the BBC determined that vocal booths below 2,500'³ were more expensive with proper acoustic treatment than booths of 2,500'³ size. Nothing to do with what could be achieved acoustically.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Seems like a weird thing to do ADR for, but if you watch when he get's off of the mic the tone doesn't change much- which would be unlikely for that mic.

I wouldn't put much weight into something like this...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
The bare drywall is weird... but, just because he says he just records at his house doesn’t mean that this video was tracked there... in fact, with his bread, that room looks... weird
What drywall? The walls in the booth are acoustic panels.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Like the other poster, I had the first impression that we were looking at unpainted, taped drywall.
First impressions were not correct. That is treatment, not drywall. That would be more in line with what we are hearing, which seems to be a very damped sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search