The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First post in the Studio Building Acoustic Forum!
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Maniac

First post in the Studio Building Acoustic Forum!

Hi all,

I'm really excited to finally start plans on constructing my own proper recording space. I've got a load of really nice gear I've accumulated over the years and plenty of musicians to work with but I can't get around the fact that we are playing and recording in the worst of spaces that even with treatment doesn't sound all that great and recording and mixing becomes more of a struggle than a pleasure. A great room doesn't only record well but it inspires performances and creativity.

My family is currently in the market for a house and my wife is extremely supportive of my venture. The space will need to track live drums, keys, guitar, bass can go DI. Ideally an isolated area would be great for loud guitar or vocal. If there is no space for the control room without sacrificing tracking room space I'm fine with that. I read about the 500sqft goal more or less for drums. I am reading the Gervais book currently to develop a foundation for the work that will need to be done. However from your collective experience at this stage when I'm looking into properties out in Suffolk County Long Island, NY what options are best for me? Some ideas I had were to convert a 3 car garage, barn, guest house, or maybe I just need a large yard and build de novo. The garage idea seems to be the easiest to encounter however ceiling height may become an issue unless I raise the roof or start digging. I will surely be asking many more questions along the way but choosing the right space in the beginning may be the most important one!

Thanks in advance

Jan
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Welcome to the forum!

As you are describing it, the most important thing right now is location. Absence of interfering sources and sound sensitive neighbors. The type of building is better addressed after reading. Note that many would like 11' ceilings as a minimum.

After GERVAIS read ROSE. It is dated but physics does not change. It was the design guide for the BBC.
Attached Files
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Maniac

11’ ceilings before building isolation or after? I presume it’s after.
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janalex View Post
11’ ceilings before building isolation or after? I presume it’s after.
After building isolation.
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Thanks. I’ll be aware of the proximity to neighbors for the properties I’m considering. Are there any particular residential constructions in the US that commonly have ceiling higher than 8 feet? I presume I should be looking at older houses since newer stuff is usually somewhat uniform. I have seen a few properties built on uneven land where the garage foundation was lower than the house foundation but shared a common roof so the ceilings were quite a high. A barn on the property sounds like a good bet.
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janalex View Post
Thanks. I’ll be aware of the proximity to neighbors for the properties I’m considering. Are there any particular residential constructions in the US that commonly have ceiling higher than 8 feet? I presume I should be looking at older houses since newer stuff is usually somewhat uniform. I have seen a few properties built on uneven land where the garage foundation was lower than the house foundation but shared a common roof so the ceilings were quite a high. A barn on the property sounds like a good bet.
No, so barns and garages are potential shells.
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear
Not sure where you are located, but I would also recommend doing some research on your local home occupation laws. These vary all over, but typically there are restrictions to how many sq ft, how many employees, parking, number of clients and so on.

Of course a lot of people are doing OK with home-studios that aren't licensed or legal, but there is a significant risk there and some people do get shut down. Not only neighbors, but competitors in your area could file a complaint.

If you do build within the requirements in your area and get and maintain a license, your business will be grandfathered meaning that if they change the requirements in the future they can't shut you down for not meeting them.

In most places commercial property tax rates are 4-5 times higher than res, so as more and more brick and mortar shops close for online retail, it's likely that Cities will start to take a much closer look at home occupations.

Not here to tell you what choice to make, but I think this is a good thing to be aware of at least.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search