The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Treatment Guidance
Old 18th January 2020
Here for the gear

Treatment Guidance

Hello, I’ve been reading threads on GS for years but have finally joined the community. I’m in a new house and turning a basement room into a project studio with the hopes of eventually recording my own album. Before I begin tracking drums I really wanted some guidance on room acoustics. I’ve read through many of the different threads here but was wondering if there was A more appropriate place to post pictures/dimensions of the space to get some input on unique elements of my actual room. Ultimately I believe I’ll be building some DIY absorption panels and bass traps as well as doing something with all or some of my drop ceiling tiles. I’ve posted a drawing of the room here but if there is a better route for me to take in this pursuit I am happy to follow it. If there are folks who offer paid services for individualized consulting like this on here I would certainly be interested in hearing about that as well. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Treatment Guidance-ad703794-4bf8-4ee5-a53c-6d2906f28ea8.png   Treatment Guidance-image_4786_0.jpg   Treatment Guidance-image_2956_0.jpg   Treatment Guidance-image_4116_0.jpg  
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpziller View Post
... was wondering if there was A more appropriate place to post pictures/dimensions of the space to get some input on unique elements of my actual room.
You are in the right place, here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've done some work and figured I'd update my post despite the lack of response - would love to get some input if possible.

I built 4 absorption panels using 3" Roxul Safe N' Sound. Also tried my hand at building a small Bass trap for behind the corner monitor speaker. Finally, I started crafting absorption boxes over the ceiling tiles - starting in the corners. All of this is pictured in the images provided, as well as an updated diagram and a layout of the ceiling tiles (Yellow = currently covered with absorbing box / Orange = planned coverage area).

So far I can definitely notice an amount of control that has been added to the room but admittedly its a bit hard to define. I've tried a few db meter apps on my phone to take pink noise measurements in the corners and around the listening area - but I know the app tools aren't great. I am happier with the way things are sounding but I could be convincing myself that this work was all worth the effort.

Couple of questions I do have here and the most pressing is the use of these ceiling boxes. I wanted to add insulation to the cavity above the drop ceiling to create a room-wide bass trap of sorts but I did not want to just stuff it with Safe N' Sound. I run my mic cables up through there and dont want it to be a mess. I decided to make these boxes panel by panel but now I am a bit concerned about putting cardboard (flammable) up there. Even though the insulation itself is non-flammable. I am NOT putting these boxes on the two panels with light fixtures but still, I am a bit apprehensive.

If anyone is willing to weigh in on how this all looks so far, What I should be doing next (buying a measurement mic and running software?), something I should be doing totally different?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Treatment Guidance-updated-layout.png   Treatment Guidance-ceiling-layout.png   Treatment Guidance-img_1147.jpg   Treatment Guidance-img_1148.jpg   Treatment Guidance-img_1149.jpg  

Treatment Guidance-img_1150.jpg   Treatment Guidance-img_1151.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

If you do what to hire someone or use a company that sells products to give you advice then I would do yourself a favor and just work with them. I have seem a lot of guys get "too many cooks in the kitchen" and end up with way to many options. I have 5 designers on staff and all 5 of them do things slightly different but does not mean that any of them don't do a great job. Needless to say, thought I would throw that in before you start down the road of hiring someone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search