The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting natural light in to soundproofed area?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
Hey guys, mild tangent with respect to beefing up between the studs. What is the preferred way to deal with corners or other places where studs are too close together to place new material in between? My guess would be that my best bet would be to caulk it heavily. Is there anything better?
How big are you talking about? 1/2" or smaller, caulk...
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
How big are you talking about? 1/2" or smaller, caulk...
Here's a pic. In the corner there is both a small gap (to the left of the corner) and a tiny gap where the studs from the two walls nearly contact each other.

The picture is sideways. I can't get the forum to respect the orientation as it is on my computer for some reason.

Getting natural light in to soundproofed area?-studs.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Getting natural light in to soundproofed area?-studs.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Add mass where you can, calk where you cant
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
Hey guys, mild tangent with respect to beefing up between the studs. What is the preferred way to deal with corners or other places where studs are too close together to place new material in between? My guess would be that my best bet would be to caulk it heavily. Is there anything better?
You can stick drywall in it so the 5/8" dimension fills the gap (like a credit card slider). So you'd have a piece drywall 5/8" thick and about the width of the stud slipped into the opening which.

If the gap is so tiny i piece of drywall is too thick, ie less than 3/8", you can stuff some insulation in there and use backer rod and caulk.

Ive filled gaps that were very narrow (like an inch or two) by cutting the drywall strip with a drywall hand saw (using a drywall t square as an edge guide) and using backer rod and caulking on the perimeter.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

It's kind of hard to make out in the picture, especially sideways, but where the walls meet at the corner, the studs from the walls touch on the diagonal, so there is almost no gap at all but approximately a 3.5" cavity behind there.

Now that I think of it, the purpose of that extra stud is to give something for drywall to attach to. Since this is not needed, I may be able to remove the stud completely...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search