The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thoughts on this mobile gobo speaker wall?
Old 17th January 2020
Thoughts on this mobile gobo speaker wall?

Just to set this up, I'm currently working up a design for a diy single room studio and had been considering the benefits of gobos in order to convert the space from "tracking mode" to "mixing mode".

I stumbled across this old thread on the Sayers forum. I'll try to summarize. Someone asked about being able to build a combo live/mix space using gobos. He was retrofitting an existing room -- on a budget it should be noted.

John proposed this solution, which he said he had used before:
Thoughts on this mobile gobo speaker wall?-plan1.jpg

There wasn't a lot of construction detail but I took it for a partition wall (2x4 or 2x6) with a solid MDF backing and a window framed out for the monitor to sit on. Then filled in with 703, cloth, resonator slats and a baffle around the monitor. All of which would make each gobo pretty heavy. I assume these would be on wheels.

Now, right off the bat I understand this will never be as good as a properly designed flush mount installation. But I'm wondering how well it would work as compared to a typical situation with monitors on a stand or desk. By that I mean in terms of minimizing SBIR, resonance and comb filtering.

Also, consider the room will be treated with bass traps & first reflection absorption.

There's a lot to like about this arrangement:
Monitors can be pushed back to the wall, making more room for tracking while still allowing non-critical playback.

Optimal positioning could be tweaked with testing, marking the best position for repeat-ability.

Just about any near/mid field monitor should work. No heat issues with active monitors. Reasonably easy to retrofit for new monitors.

While in "mix mode", there will be some space behind the gobos for temporary storage of stuff you don't want laying around and causing reflections.

Most of the above would apply to the rear gobos too. The backside of those could be made reflective for extra flexibility (in "tracking mode").

Stretching this further , this concept could also be extended to surround sound setups...
What do you all think? Given the pros, I'm curious about the cons. Again this would be in contrast to setting monitors on stands or desks.
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on this mobile gobo speaker wall?-plan1.jpg  
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Man, i would NOT make your speaker baffles movable in any way. They need to be MASSIVE and RIGID. 100% agree on flush mounting though.

There are ways to make variable treatment though which can add/remove ambience at will. Its basically thick absorbtion on the walls with hinged doors. Open exposes full absorbtion, closed exposes a plywood front. You can drastically change the anbience while still controling the low end.

https://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/v...hp?f=3&t=20845
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Sorry to deviate from your question but are my eyes playing tricks (maybe, it's 1am and I am off to bed now) or is that an unsymmetrical setup? It looks all off centre from the room's centre. In addition, the woofer is fine if everything is askew but if you do centre your setup, the woofer will need to be moved away from being exactly in the centre of the room.
Old 4 weeks ago
@ Starlight

The drawing is not mine. It's from the Sayers thread. Yes it does seem out of symmetry. I don't know what other limiting factors were involved. In my case, I will have a symmetrical room.

@ jason

I figured the mobility might come up. There are casters one can attach to something massive like a workbench that can be raised for moving & then dropped back down. So it would be sitting flat on the floor when in use.

If this were constructed the way I imagine it, say 4x 2x6 studs with top & bottom plates & a framed out "window", all backed by a 1" piece of MDF, and faced with baffle and slats, it will be massive and rigid. Not like a concrete bunker, but like an equivalent section of wall. 200bs at least. Plus a 40-ish lb monitor.

This sounds like more of a soft flush mount approach, vs the hard flush, which is as massive as possible. Although when I think about it, this is really like setting the speaker on a heavy stand, then fitting it with a large baffle.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisl View Post
@ Starlight

The drawing is not mine. It's from the Sayers thread. Yes it does seem out of symmetry. I don't know what other limiting factors were involved. In my case, I will have a symmetrical room.

@ jason

I figured the mobility might come up. There are casters one can attach to something massive like a workbench that can be raised for moving & then dropped back down. So it would be sitting flat on the floor when in use.

If this were constructed the way I imagine it, say 4x 2x6 studs with top & bottom plates & a framed out "window", all backed by a 1" piece of MDF, and faced with baffle and slats, it will be massive and rigid. Not like a concrete bunker, but like an equivalent section of wall. 200bs at least. Plus a 40-ish lb monitor.

This sounds like more of a soft flush mount approach, vs the hard flush, which is as massive as possible. Although when I think about it, this is really like setting the speaker on a heavy stand, then fitting it with a large baffle.
Theres more to it than massiveness an rigidity, the entire void behind the baffle should be back filled completely to avoid resonance, moving your monitors repeatidly would be a PITA. Slight variayions in positioning could change FR so that its never the "same room". You could possibly inlay some threaded inserts in the ground so things always return to the exact same spot, but idk how well that will work. I built my baffles with doubled up 2x4's and 1.5" mdf and even as solid as it was, aligning everything perfectly was a pain, but i get it, where there is a will theres a way and you can possibly come up with something thats acceptable in terms of compromise. It just doesnt seem worth the gain IMO. Doing it the old fashioned way doesnt eat up tons of real estate and you seem to be doing everything else by the book.

Anywho, thats just my two pennies. If you do it, i'm excited to see how you overcome the obstacles and how it performs, and of course wish you all the luck in the world
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the replies. I asked about it on the Sayers forum (it was after all, John's concept) but no reply there yet.

I'm seeing this less and less as a flush mount design and more as an extension of placing speakers on stands - which happen to be surrounded by a large baffle. Although I know it's not that simple and there are certainly drawbacks to doing that, as with any kind of installation.

If I don't get any positive feedback on this, I will probably drop it. I'm reluctant to attempt a diy flush mount design (soft or hard) without some assistance by a qualified designer. The jury's still out on that front -- I haven't had much luck finding one I feel I can work with. So if all else fails, the speakers will be on stands.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search