The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just built 180x60cm panels to discover that fabric is 170cm!
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

Just built 180x60cm panels to discover that fabric is 170cm!

Damn it why didn't I check this before. Any creative ideas on how I can make this work / look good without wasting a ton of fabric?

I'm going for this kind of design. 180 x 60 is inside measurement.
Attached Thumbnails
Just built 180x60cm panels to discover that fabric is 170cm!-galilee_800x.jpg  
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Put some trim the whole way around that sticks out like ~7cm and staple the fabric to it from the back side.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Put some trim the whole way around that sticks out like ~7cm and staple the fabric to it from the back side.
Ok, so sticks out towards the middle, like the surround in a picture frame? Then staple the fabric in the inside of the trim? That's a lot of additional reflective surface..
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazza26 View Post
Ok, so sticks out towards the middle, like the surround in a picture frame? Then staple the fabric in the inside of the trim? That's a lot of additional reflective surface..
Yes, like a picture frame. Its not going to have a huge effect really. Effect is dependent on trim size vs wavelength, but any wavelength that sees the trim will be effectively absorbed by your trap. I wouldnt worry too much on such a large trap.

Alternatively, buy bigger fabric.
Old 17th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
You could just do the trim at the top and bottom since you're only short in that dimension, maybe 7-8cm each to give you some real estate to attach to (double check the actual usable width of the fabric before making this call). That would reduce the additional reflective surfaces. And as Jason said, your traps will still function as intended.

Alternatively, you could cut your 170cm fabric in half to have two rolls/pieces of 85cm fabric, then use that in the 60cm direction. You would have some extra waste this way, but no additional reflective surfaces. Might be a good option if you already have a bunch of extra fabric or if your fabric is cheap enough to justify any extra you might need to purchase.
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Nut

Due to my incompetence, I might have inadvertently found a solution. I kinda forgot lighting. So am thinking of putting 20cm trims down the middle with downlights.

Thanks for all the help
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Due to my incompetence, I might have inadvertently found a solution. I kinda forgot lighting. So am thinking of putting 20cm trims down the middle with downlights.

Thanks for all the help
Lol, well there you go! Pics when you're done would be awesome. Good luck!
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Lol, well there you go! Pics when you're done would be awesome. Good luck!
Thanks, will do!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search