The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone has any tips or ideas for a "swing shelf" under the desk?
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Head

Anyone has any tips or ideas for a "swing shelf" under the desk?

Hello everybody.

I've gone back and forth with the idea of keeping a master keyboard below my desk but I don't want to buy/build something that's wobbly, which I'm afraid is the case with lots of them (I'm taking tips though!).

My table is by the way a higher and lower desk, meaning I can raise it to stand (which I use most of the time) and I can lower it when I want to sit.

Another thought was to place the keyboard on top of the desk but move my computer keyboard and mouse down to the shelf, but I've got 2 issues with that, I really don't feel like typing on a keyboard below the table, it just feels weird when I try it out in the air, not the same thing but I get the idea.
Second issue is that I've got 2 racks (permanent) in the middle of the table taking up lots of space. I've measured it and I can fit a Roland Alpha Juno 2 there, though it's a bit cramped because I've got exactly 24 cm of space that I can use for the depth of the keyboard.

So lately an idea came to me, what if I had a shelf under my desk, that is a quality swing shelf, that's not the correct name for it but it's the best I can describe it but "the other name" that comes to mind is a flippable shelf.

Anyway, I started a lousy 3d sketch of what I mean, it actually explains it rather good.

Take a look a the pictures.

As you might understand, the idea is that the keyboard sits under the desk on a shelf, that's setup with these "swings (?)", so whenever I want to use it I'm thinking I'll just pull the pipe downwards about 200 degrees, at the whole time the keyboard keeps the balance on the shelf and for the second pipe, but after the 200 degrees for the first pipe I angle the second pipe towards the table and taadaa the keyboard sits on top of the table. My sketch is a bit terrible and only shows one of the settings (the one where the keyboard is below the table because I don't have time for more right now but I believe it's probably enough.) but I'm just thinking that gravity and rotation would solve all this and there should probably be some finished parts for shelfs like this available, I surely must have seen them somewhere? I understand I might have to deal with something posting out at the bracelets etc but I'd probably be okay with that I just wonder what these type of systems are called and where I can buy them, or do I need to build one myself (could probably do that with a lot of trial and error).

Thanks, really appreciate your help on this because I haven't found anything myself but I'm not a native English speaker and might search for the wrong keywords.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone has any tips or ideas for a "swing shelf" under the desk?-swing-shelf-0.jpg   Anyone has any tips or ideas for a "swing shelf" under the desk?-swing-shelf-1.jpg   Anyone has any tips or ideas for a "swing shelf" under the desk?-swing-shelf-2.jpg   Anyone has any tips or ideas for a "swing shelf" under the desk?-swing-shelf-4.jpg  
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Head

Yeah. Sorry i was unclear I was thinking I wanted the keyboard / light weight synth on that tray, and maybe it’s possible but it feels a bit risky to try it out just like that and figured maybe someone if you has found something like that and I’m not afraid to build one myself but I haven’t built anything alike.

I can maybe model it but I’m thinking that when it’s in it’s above state it might be where the computer keyboard and trackpad was (but I intend to move them aside and it would be great if it was, not sure how to describe this but I’d like if it was a bit resistance in moving it but still that the turning positions are very smooth in the movement and also like industry quality and can take heavy weighted objects on it so that you can actually play the keyboard without the wobble.
Another idea if there’s no such thing as I mentioned above is for it to have 4 legs (that I intend to install if necessary) so that it moves to the top and sits over the computer keyboard and trackpad.

I also would have liked if it actually moved like the tray on my picture, meaning that you move it against yourself instead of to the sides and with the tray staying the same trough the whole then
Will try to explain it with a picture.
If there’s nothing like this and people think it’s a stupid idea I’ll of course drop it but I just feel and think this would be amazing for me if it could work as I intend it to.

Sorry I’ve become terrible to search but it wasn’t exactly what I was thinking but a bit close!
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone has any tips or ideas for a "swing shelf" under the desk?-12ac1aad-4b54-4294-bed1-c006cee7206b.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search