The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to do with window behind one speaker?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

What to do with window behind one speaker?

Hey,

I have a asymmetric window on the front wall of my bedroom studio. Space between window and wall is just 40cm. I measured a lot of different speaker positions, so far the best overall is to have the speakers at 1/4 and 3/4 of the front wall, as close to the wall as possible. However, this causes quite some asymmetry in L-R-speaker response. If I set all below 120 to mono, I get quite a decent result, but I'm still wandering what I could to with the window to improve on the situation. I can post a measurement tomorrow.
Unfortunately the part behind the speaker is the part that opens first, so no way I can put any thing fixed in front.
Any Ideas? Would acoustic curtains make a difference?

Cheers, Peer
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Hello

Pictures and drawings are requested .
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Hey,

so here is a picture of the tricky corner. Window is 180(high)*156cm² in a 254*304cm²wall, 38cm off the right wall, 56cm off the ground (all measurements referring to the cut out in the wall). Glass plane is 10cm recessed relative to the wall.
The room is 526cm long. Room is not treated yet, just about to order.
Also below are REW-meassurements:
Frequency response left / right / sum / with sub, spectrogram likewise, plus waterfall sum with sub. Mic was placed about 144cm off the front wall - found that to work better than the usual 38%, REW room sim suggests moving up even further. Don't be confused by the stacked speakers - below is my old P110, the O110 I used is placed above for now, final position will be a bit lower I guess.
I was thinking of setting all frequencies below like 120 to mono, hence the sum measurements.

As for treatment: I'm currently thinking of putting monster bass traps in the front corners, above the speakers and on the back (like 8 piece 4'*2', some with range limiter) plus some lighter stuff for early reflections.

Cheers, Peer
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with window behind one speaker?-img_20200115_235156.jpg   What to do with window behind one speaker?-l-r-ballance.jpg   What to do with window behind one speaker?-sp-left.jpg   What to do with window behind one speaker?-sp-right.jpg   What to do with window behind one speaker?-sp-sum.jpg  

What to do with window behind one speaker?-sp-sub.jpg   What to do with window behind one speaker?-sum.jpg   What to do with window behind one speaker?-wf-sub.jpg   What to do with window behind one speaker?-sub.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search