The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
REW Measurements! :)
Old 10th January 2020
Here for the gear

REW Measurements! :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wdB...ew?usp=sharingHey there!

This is my first post and REW measurements
I've done my best to learn from the experts on this forum to build and measure this studio. Fingers crossed I've done okay to start.
Really appreciate any input you may have,

Thank you!

Measurements are post room treatment, and Dip switches on the Genelec 8040's
Attached Thumbnails
REW Measurements! :)-center-l-etc.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-l-fr.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-l-spectro.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-l-topt-t30.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-l-waterfall-20-20k.png  

REW Measurements! :)-center-l-waterfall.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-l-r-etc.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-l-r-fr.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-l-r-rt60.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-l-r-waterfall-20-20k.png  

REW Measurements! :)-center-l-r-waterfall.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-r-etc.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-r-fr.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-r-spectro.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-r-topt-t30.png  

REW Measurements! :)-center-r-waterfall-20-20k.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-r-waterfall.png   REW Measurements! :)-house-curve.png   REW Measurements! :)-post-eq-average.png   REW Measurements! :)-post-eq-filter.png  

REW Measurements! :)-unnamed-1-.jpg   REW Measurements! :)-unnamed.jpg  
Old 10th January 2020
Looks pretty nice so far all the way down to 35 or so Hz but I'm missing a bit of bass TBH. And that bass may uncover something.

I think however that you're hiding something from us by zooming this far out of the impulse response (your desk).

A good example that basic room optimization on speakers is pretty useless in the real world. Swap your 8040s for 8350s.
Old 10th January 2020
PS: Congrats!
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom_Finder View Post
...Fingers crossed I've done okay to start...
It’s a very good start and it looks like valid measurements!

Agree with Johann re the bass response. A bit bass-shy below 250Hz. The overall trend is visible in your averaged measurement. I plotted it 1/3 Octave smoothed here with a hand drawn required (estimated) bass boost. Around 10dB IMHO (blue curve) Pic 1

If you like to do something about the low end (no EQ!) you have to find out what’s causing the dips. E.g. Modal nulls, SBIR, lack of modal support or weak walls. pic 2 Waterfall

What are the dimensions of the room? Mic & Speaker positions. Kind of walls? How much more work are you prepared to do?

Best

BTW. As I understand it: ”Center” means mic over room L/R center line.
"Center L" = Left speaker, mic in the middle?
"Right L" = Left speaker, mic moved sideways to the Right... how much?
Attached Thumbnails
REW Measurements! :)-ave-1-3-oct-smooth-kopia.jpg   REW Measurements! :)-c-r-wf-jan-10-02-21-44.jpg  
Old 16th January 2020
Here for the gear

Thank you for the feedback guys

Yeah I realized the ETC was supposed to be up to 50ms after I uploaded it. Here are the most up to date measurements.

The ETC is showing my desk reflections. But I dont see a workaround without attaining some special studio desk set up.

The room is 20' x 10' and vaulted ceilings of around 13 feet to the pitch.

The monitors are 58 inch apart and 58 inches from the listening position.

They are 17" from tweeter to front wall (and within the recommendation for SBIR according to Genelec. But I've included 2 layers of 3 " safe and sound between the monitors and the front wall. I removed them and the measurements were worse.

"Center Left" means Mic position in the center Left Speaker ON only

Left and Right Mic positions are both 5 inches off from Center listening position

I tried 38% away from front wall, but it made the measurements and stereo field worse. The position I'm in now 65-66" from the front wall seems to give me the best stereo image.

I've used 9" of SNS for my main first reflections and bass traps.

Appreciate the community Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
REW Measurements! :)-average-left-center-right-20-20k-hz.png   REW Measurements! :)-average-left-right-20-400hz.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-left-right-water-fall.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-left-etc.png   REW Measurements! :)-center-right-etc.png  

REW Measurements! :)-center-right-water-fall.png   REW Measurements! :)-unnamed-1-.jpg   REW Measurements! :)-unnamed.jpg  
Old 16th January 2020
Here for the gear

The walls are two layers of 5/8 drywall with Green glue but are flat walls.

I just got these 8040's used so buying 8350's is not in my budget at the moment. would they a very significant increase in low end?

Right now Im rolling off the Low end on the rear DIP switches (about -2 db) but that doesnt reach the upper low freq range where my problem is.
Old 16th January 2020
Quote:
The ETC is showing my desk reflections. But I dont see a workaround without attaining some special studio desk set up.
Tilt your desk towards you.

At least as long as nothing rolls off.
Old 16th January 2020
Quote:
I just got these 8040's used so buying 8350's is not in my budget at the moment. would they a very significant increase in low end?
No, but GLM/SAM would help you clean up the frequency response. It is only EQ, however and doesn't solve any problems. Still, the difference in a ****ty room is remarkable. In a well treated room probably less so.
Old 19th January 2020
Here for the gear

Tilt the desk! Another reason you guys are awesome. Thank you I will do just that

So instead of the GLM/SAM, would it be more economical to go with a DSP like MiniDSP or Sonar for the EQ corrections?

With the amount of of correction I need to for recording and mixing would you personally use a DSP or would you continue to use reference tracks for the low end? etc.
Old 19th January 2020
Quote:
Tilt the desk! Another reason you guys are awesome. Thank you I will do just that
Post pics.

And measure so you can see what it does to the desk reflection.

Quote:
So instead of the GLM/SAM, would it be more economical to go with a DSP like MiniDSP or Sonar for the EQ corrections?
In the end, MiniDSP, SonarWorks, SAM/GLM are all the same: EQ. You can do what they do on the PC just as well.

I like the GLM/SAM package however because it's very convenient. When you get a sub, the subwoofer integration using GLM/SAM is unbelievably good which is probably much harder to do manually.

So GLM/SAM is a system that's quite convenient and will get you further faster than doing it manually.
Old 19th January 2020
Quote:
With the amount of of correction I need to for recording and mixing would you personally use a DSP or would you continue to use reference tracks for the low end? etc.
The difference with GLM/SAM is night and day.
Old 4th February 2020
Here for the gear

Images labeled 3 are my third attempt and highest tilt angle. First images are the first attempts. Noticeable improvement

I used two pieces of 3/4" rubber and some wood
Attached Thumbnails
REW Measurements! :)-c-l-tilt-desk-impulse-3.png   REW Measurements! :)-c-l-tilt-desk-impulse.png   REW Measurements! :)-c-lr-tilt-desk-impulse-3.png   REW Measurements! :)-c-lr-tilt-desk-impulse.png   REW Measurements! :)-c-r-tilt-desk-impulse-3.png  

REW Measurements! :)-c-r-tilt-desk-impulse.png   REW Measurements! :)-84623113_261140794870799_639731298520268800_n.jpg   REW Measurements! :)-84641233_1503370289816111_7906583755945410560_n.jpg  
Old 5th February 2020
Great job.
Old 5th February 2020
...are the holes around 100 Hz still there?
Old 6th February 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks to you!

Yes there is still a drop at 100 hz, modes are unchanged.
Old 7th February 2020
Tried the floor left and right to you yet?
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

Do you mean SBIR from the floors?!
Old 14th February 2020
Sorry, I should have typed a few more words. I meant the left and right floor/wall points.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search