The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fire barrier and triple leaf
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Fire barrier and triple leaf

Considering the following scenario:

noise source | 1/2" drywall | 2x4 stud wall + insulation | two layers of 5/8" drywall | X (~3 inches or so) | us

Assuming we are optimizing for reducing sound transmission from "noise source" to "us" at 85hz and above, then...

What would you put at X?

There is a proposal is to build a 2x3 studwall with insulation and 1/2" drywall at X, however I'm concerned about the triple leaf effect. I wonder if using 3 or 4 layers of drywall, or some other system, may perform better.

---

Context: Party wall between units. Can't control other side of wall. Two layers of 5/8" drywall mounted to existing 2x4 stud wall is evidently required by fire code. All sound treatment has to happen after that.

Thank you in advance.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Green Glue and more drywall would improve the isolation while avoiding a triple leaf at position X.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Can your budget support application of insulated glass [or something similarly remote from the characteristics of drywall]?

Ray H.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Green Glue and more drywall would improve the isolation while avoiding a triple leaf at position X.
This is spot on.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsfx View Post
I'm concerned about the triple leaf effect. I wonder if using 3 or 4 layers of drywall, or some other system, may perform better.
Check out Hush City Soundproofing. On the page they have the STC ratings for different setups.

The Double Leaf has a STC Rating of 63 - and is double walled on the outside and inside. If it were me I would build the room as a Double Leaf.

Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Check out Hush City Soundproofing. On the page they have the STC ratings for different setups.

The Double Leaf has a STC Rating of 63 - and is double walled on the outside and inside. If it were me I would build the room as a Double Leaf.

I like this answer, but I was wondering if the studio could tear out existing drywall on their side [assuming not, due to fire code]? and would '~3 inches' be sufficient [assuming they can]?

Thanks,

Ray H.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
This is spot on.
I found a UL-certified wall assembly for double 5/8" mounted on resilient channel:

https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/e...ail.30054.html

Any thoughts on that assembly versus three layers of drywall?

Any gut feeling on what kind of performance to expect from these? We are hoping to block speaking and singing voices, not concerned as much with low frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post

<snip>
Yeah unfortunately we received news that we cannot use a 2-leaf double stud wall with an open cavity due to fire code.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsfx View Post
I found a UL-certified wall assembly for double 5/8" mounted on resilient channel:

https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/e...ail.30054.html

Any thoughts on that assembly versus three layers of drywall? [. . .]
Are you asking about the 'system' [which is 6.5"] or just some portion of it [e.g. channels and 5/8" Thick Gypsum Board] vs. green glue + drywall?

Ray H.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Starlight gave the answer. Resilient channel woll not reduce mid and high transmission significantly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search