The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which absorbers for my room - REM meassured
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Which absorbers for my room - REM meassured

Hey,

I know there are a bunch of similar threads, some of which I have read, but as every room and project is slightly different, I still thought I'll start a new one, hope that's fine.

My situation is somewhat similar to this. Room is 3,1*5*2,52m³, front wall has an offset window on the right, back corner has a recessed door (in a kind of short tunnel. There are radiator pipes in the front right corner (taking up 10*6cm²). Sketch is with my old speaker placement, mow they are symmetric 40cm off the front wall, 50cm off the sides.
I want to mix in the room on a kind of semi pro level.

I didn't buy any absorbers yet, but have been in contact with GIK-acoustic. They recommend getting there room set 4, i.e. 4 triangular "Tri-Trap" corner traps, 1 "Monster Bass Trap", 6 "242" broadband absorbers. Do you think that makes sense? Where would you put them? The front right corner could only take one Tri-Trap (or siliar), 6cm off the wall. the front left could take two, the back left one. The ceiling could theoretically take corner traps pretty much every where except for door and window slot.
Would it be better to take the cheaper set 2 (4 "244"-Basstraps instead of Tri-Traps - possibly with Range Limiter Membrane) i order to stack the 244s in the front corners against the side walls? I could then buy some additional bass trap with the 200€ that saves me.

I measured the room with sub only as well as sub+1top (K+H P110 + Adam Sub7).

Any input is highly appreciated.

Cheers, Peer

Edit: Schrank is upboard, Regal is shelf...
Attached Thumbnails
Which absorbers for my room - REM meassured-untreated-sub-sp.jpg   Which absorbers for my room - REM meassured-untreated-sub-wf.jpg   Which absorbers for my room - REM meassured-untreated-full-sp.jpg   Which absorbers for my room - REM meassured-untreated-full-wf.jpg   Which absorbers for my room - REM meassured-untreated-spl.jpg  

Which absorbers for my room - REM meassured-img_20191121_231354.jpg  

Last edited by PeerSoe; 2 weeks ago at 11:20 PM.. Reason: translation
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Here for the gear
 

I've narrowed down my question a bit, so maybe some of the experts could chime in...

I've spoken to GIK again and they recommend sticking with their suggested set, leave the 35Hz-Node alone as treating that would be "very expensive" and skip the subwoofer.
I'm wondering, though, If I really need that many tuned absorbers to get rid of that node:

My front wall is rougly 7,5m², about 2,5m² are taken up by the window which should be transparent to frequencies that low. That leaves me with just 5m² reflective area. If I now cover i.e. 1,5m² in the bottom left part of the front wall and 1,5m² on the top of the back wall with absorbers tuned to 35Hz, things should get a lot better, shouldn't they?

I could probably also live with skipping the below 40Hz region (maybe selling my monitors and sub to get the active O110 or something similar that goes down a bit further than the P110) as I often listen without the sun anyway, but I heard you guys say that the whole sound will stay messy if the bottom note is not treated, even if I don't play that low. What do you think?

Cheers, Peer
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe View Post

My front wall is rougly 7,5m², about 2,5m² are taken up by the window which should be transparent to frequencies that low.

Cheers, Peer
Why?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Here for the gear
 

As far as I know windows are not rigid enough to reflect very low frequencies. That's definitely true for old single ply windows and lesser so for modern two ply ones, but I wouldn't expect a standard iso window from the 90s to reflect as low as 30Hz. Unfortunately I can't replace it with a concrete wall to check...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe View Post
As far as I know windows are not rigid enough to reflect very low frequencies. That's definitely true for old single ply windows and lesser so for modern two ply ones, but I wouldn't expect a standard iso window from the 90s to reflect as low as 30Hz. Unfortunately I can't replace it with a concrete wall to check...
It will transmit some energy and maybe it has a resonance frequency that is in a usefull band, but even when it only has a transmission loss of 10 dB it wil reflect almost al the energy as sound behaves logaritmic.
When you're next to a car with a boomstallation in it you may have the impression that all the bass is escaping, but in the car you still have a significant bass boost from the flimsy car exterior.

Last edited by bert stoltenborg; 1 week ago at 05:38 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

@ bert stoltenborg: I guess you are right. I placed the sub on the back wall today, firing at the window and didn't really shorten the 30Hz decay...
So I guess I'd have to cover most of the back wall with tuned absorbers to be able to play 30Hz nicely. Which means I'll probably settle with a higher cut off frequency for now.

Cheers, Peer
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe View Post
Hey,
Servus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe View Post
I didn't buy any absorbers yet, but have been in contact with GIK-acoustic. They recommend getting there room set 4, i.e. 4 triangular "Tri-Trap" corner traps, 1 "Monster Bass Trap", 6 "242" broadband absorbers. Do you think that makes sense?
I can't speak about the Tri-Trap but it's hard to beat the Monster Bass Traps with Range Limiter.

In your case, I would put all money in Monster Bass Traps and Tri-Traps and skip the package deal. One Monster Bass Trap doesn't do much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe View Post
Where would you put them?
First reflection points, rear wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe View Post
Would it be better to take the cheaper set 2 (4 "244"-Basstraps instead of Tri-Traps - possibly with Range Limiter Membrane) i order to stack the 244s in the front corners against the side walls?
The way I see it you have heavy room modes in the 60-70 Hz region and the 244s won't do much there. Go Monster Bass Traps with Ranger Limiter.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe View Post
I've spoken to GIK again and they recommend sticking with their suggested set, leave the 35Hz-Node alone as treating that would be "very expensive" and skip the subwoofer.
I'm wondering, though, If I really need that many tuned absorbers to get rid of that node:
Maybe this helps: Need help with next steps for 15 m² room
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
How is REM involved in this? I thought they were retired.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Here for the gear
 

They retired as a band in order to have more time to measure rooms, didn't you know that?

Tried to change the title to REW but couldn't edit...
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe View Post
They retired as a band in order to have more time to measure rooms, didn't you know that?

Tried to change the title to REW but couldn't edit...
Thanks for being a good sport.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump