The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Home studio question - acoustic instrumental tracking + headphone mixing
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Home studio question - acoustic instrumental tracking + headphone mixing

Recently I decided to downsize from a dedicated studio to just using a part of my bedroom. Part of that decision was to go to “headphones only”. Maybe I’ll waste 1,000 hours and ultimately go back to a dedicated studio - that’s a thing that is possible - but this is what I’m trying now.
  • I only record my own instrumental pieces
  • All acoustic instruments (baritone guitar, resonator, ukulele)
  • Room is large 19x20x10 w bay window but there is a recessed ceiling where part of it is 9’
  • I create sort of an mobile isolation booth for tracking (see pic) to block early reflections using OC703 2” and 4” panels - (4) 2” and (8) 4”
  • Mostly spaced pair about 16-18” from the guitar. No room mics
  • Four separate headphones - main is Senn HD-695
  • SonarWorks for headphone correction
So there’s not a lot of “energy” going on - it’s all acoustic. This is what I’ve found that I like the best sonically (the picture). The acoustic slut in me continues to ask, “Isn’t there more you can do?”

The wife is patient and has no problem with the panels crammed in the corner BTW ?

So questions I have would be:
  1. Would corner bass traps help? I think not bc of low energy and close mics
  2. How can I identify resonances and nulls? Recessed cieling and bay window measurements make it hard to use typical room mode calculators

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Home studio question - acoustic instrumental tracking + headphone mixing-8bb0e6cd-653f-4bc5-aad6-01087e99f1e8.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search