The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Build questions with super long room and slanted ceilings
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Build questions with super long room and slanted ceilings

Hello,

Longtime lurker first time poster. I've read through almost all the free resources/forum posts I could find but I still have a few questions as my room dimensions are particularly odd.

Background info: I've found what appears to be a promising new space that I am moving into in two weeks. The dimensions are approximately 15'x45'x~11'. The ceiling is slanted - it meets one long wall at about 9' and meets the other long wall at about 13'. I will be able to take precise measurements once I actually am in the space.

The walls and ceilings are made out of cedar logs, and the floor is shag carpet (bleh). This room is on the third floor of a house and right in the middle of the room is the stairs coming up from the lower floor with railings which subdivides the room into two distinct areas. Simple clapping tests don't reveal anything horrible about the room - no flutter echos and no midrange standing waves apparent when talking in the room. There are 4 windows, all on the long walls, each about 4-5' from the corners of the room. One corner of the room has a large built-in bookshelf/entertainment center that I'm planning on filling with books and knick-knacks to create a poor-man's diffuser.

My idea is to make one half of the room the "control room" area with relatively heavy treatment to create a super flat zone at the listening position. I'd like the other half to remain as open sounding as possible in order to get a nice big room sound with drums and acoustic instruments, but with an even-ish freq response.

Here are my questions:

1) What is the most economical way to deal with the shag carpet. It is a rental unit and I cannot remove it so I'm limited to placing a harder surface on top of it. I found some cool 6'x9' bamboo "rugs" that would give a nice reflection but I'm worried that they will be too flimsy and have too much give on top of the shag carpet. They're also not super cheap. That brings me to the idea of buying some oversized 5'x8' pieces of OSB and painting them white and placing them strategically around the room. How much should I prioritize the flooring? Should I attempt to place harder surfaces around the floor in general to brighten to the room overall, or should I adjust my monitoring via EQ and just create one "spot" in the live room with a hard surface floor for recording acoustic guitars, cellos, etc?

2) My general plan for absorption is to build 3 "super wedge" style corner bass traps out of Roxul safe'n'sound and then ~12 24"x48"x4" broadband absorption panels out of rigid mineral wool. My question is: should I place all of these panels in the control room "half" to create the most neutral listening position possible, or will I want a couple in the live room "half" to control reflections between each long wall? I also thought I might want a couple to hang over the drum kit, but I'm not sure if this is necessary with the slanted ceiling? As far as placement of these goes in the control room area, I was thinking three along the short wall behind my monitors, 3 over my head as a cloud, and then two on each long wall on each side of me to take care of the first reflection points off of the wall. That leaves me 2 left over for the "live room" area. Does this sound like a good plan? I know that it's difficult to say without actually being in the room and taking measurements, but I'd like to try to build these panels in the next couple weeks before move-in so I can get up and running as quickly as possible. Will 12 of these panels be enough to sufficiently create a well-treated control room area, and deal with any offensiveness in the live room area? Is treating one half of the room and leaving the other half much more open a bad idea? Would it be wiser to treat the whole room more equally?

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first "serious" room and top priority for me will be creating a listening position where I can really trust my monitors. I'd like as much as possible to cut down on car-checks and be able to just know that my mixes will translate well. Sound proofing is a non-issue as I will be living below the studio and won't have to worry about annoying anyone else in the house. I'm principally concerned with evening out freq response.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice you may have!

Colin
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hi Colin,

I was hoping you would get some replies to this as I have a similarly shaped room and am also curious what the community has to say about treating such a strange space!

I just finished treating my space which is approximately 11'x20'. The ceiling is slanted, with a short ceiling height of 7' and a tall ceiling height of 13'. I used nine 24"x48"x2" absorption panels, five bass traps (four 24"x48"x4" traps and one 24"x24"x4" trap for the shorter corner). I filled in some space with 2" acoustic foam (12"x12") which helped eliminate some remaining flutter echo, and covered all the windows in the space with thick curtains. The bass traps were mostly for the side of the room that I will have my mixing console on. I left the other side relatively bare so I can still get a lively sound when tracking. The sloped ceiling really lends itself to being able to capture varying degrees of liveliness.

I would definitely keep a couple panels for your live room. Keep your ears out for flutter echo and apply accordingly but don't go overboard. 12 panels I think will be plenty for what you have in mind. The shag carpet is a tough fix since you can't tear it up. My best advice would be to build some short platforms that could space throughout the room. I don't have extensive experience treating floors so I will stop there.

I hope your build goes well! I'm interested to hear how you're able to deal with the carpet.

-KMI

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search