The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Placing home studio underneath ladder bed?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Placing home studio underneath ladder bed?

Hello! I am currently living in a dorm room (19sq meters) and have a large ladder bed (measurements around W150, L200, H160). I was thinking about putting my studio desk underneath it and then closing off one side with acoustic panels to create a “room in a room” kind of effect. My goal is to get a better space for rough mixing and sound design, I have a studio I can borrow for final mixes.

(Translation for non-metric users: 150cm = 59”, 160cm=63”, 200cm=79”)

Since the “roof” under the bed is wood and a thick mattress upwards I figured that it would help to deaden the sound a bit? And I could then put a acoustic wall on the left side that’s open to close it off into a symmetric area with treated walls both left and right.

Area underneath the bed: https://m.imgur.com/FsZlgGhhttps://m.imgur.com/FsZlgGh

The left side of the area that will be closed off with a wall to create symmetry: https://m.imgur.com/xFkqdzL

My question is if the very low roof under the bed (160cm) would be detrimental to the acoustics. And if the concept with a room in a room would even work when I won’t close off the “backside” of the bed(the one facing out to the room).

Side note is that all the corners and walls will be/are already treated with panels/bass traps, this question is if it would be a good thing to have the spot underneath the bed or if it’s better to have it out in the open.

Appreciate all answers!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hi! I actually lived in a very similar situation in New York City for a little while. (Classic NYC mini-bedroom in an apartment, just wide and long enough for one bunk bed, one dresser, and a closet.) I had my desk and recording rig under the bunk bed, and of course that's far from an ideal situation for actual monitoring and mixing, but it made a very serviceable iso booth for recording overdubs, which I did there quite a bit.

I didn't do any real heavy-duty mixing there (I'm primarily a composer and instrumentalist anyway, I'm not a "real" engineer) but I did mix plenty of demos and a few commercial/TV projects that ended up doing pretty well! It can certainly work if you're resourceful and take your whole situation into account. It worked fine for my workflow anyway since I tend to monitor pretty quietly on loudspeakers and refer plenty often to headphones as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
Hi! I actually lived in a very similar situation in New York City for a little while. (Classic NYC mini-bedroom in an apartment, just wide and long enough for one bunk bed, one dresser, and a closet.) I had my desk and recording rig under the bunk bed, and of course that's far from an ideal situation for actual monitoring and mixing, but it made a very serviceable iso booth for recording overdubs, which I did there quite a bit.

I didn't do any real heavy-duty mixing there (I'm primarily a composer and instrumentalist anyway, I'm not a "real" engineer) but I did mix plenty of demos and a few commercial/TV projects that ended up doing pretty well! It can certainly work if you're resourceful and take your whole situation into account. It worked fine for my workflow anyway since I tend to monitor pretty quietly on loudspeakers and refer plenty often to headphones as well.
Thanks for the response Progger, cool to hear! It is more to be able to do sound design rather than heavy duty mixing so I’m in the same boat! Do you remember if you experienced any weird effects from having the ceiling so low, or did it just deaden the sound like I suppose a mattress would? Thanks again!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I don't really remember anything acoustically weird other than the very dead sound. The sound was quite dead indeed, as you can imagine, and not just from the mattress: having all my belongings, as few as they were, crammed into that tiny room made for a lot of sound absorption. Far from ideal, but I made it work by keeping volume pretty low and checking on headphones regularly for an alternate perspective.

The way I always thought about it was essentially like... so much great art has been made under far-from-ideal circumstances. Make the most of the resources you have available, take the time to dial things in and develop your ideas as thoroughly as possible, good things can happen!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
I don't really remember anything acoustically weird other than the very dead sound. The sound was quite dead indeed, as you can imagine, and not just from the mattress: having all my belongings, as few as they were, crammed into that tiny room made for a lot of sound absorption. Far from ideal, but I made it work by keeping volume pretty low and checking on headphones regularly for an alternate perspective.

The way I always thought about it was essentially like... so much great art has been made under far-from-ideal circumstances. Make the most of the resources you have available, take the time to dial things in and develop your ideas as thoroughly as possible, good things can happen!
Thanks for the thoughtful insights! I really appreciate it. I will go ahead and try it out, that also sounds like a great mindset to have when working on most things essentially. Have a great day my friend!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search