The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
measurements rew for vocal recording room
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

measurements rew for vocal recording room

Hi everyone I carried out the acoustic treatment of my room to record the voices, in the past I had already shown you my room, but later I made some changes. Considering that I only need to record the voices, I have only dealt with one area of the room, the rest of the room is not treated.

I created 40 cm broadband absorbent walls, made of low-density glass wool 20kg, on the right wall I used slatted resonators for low frequencies (100-200 hz) was created by creating a 17 cm thick sealed box, inside there is a 20 kg low density glass wool and on the surface the wooden staves about 30 cm wide and almost 1 cm apart were placed (initially as you can see in the picture were 5 mm apart), the ceiling is also made of low density glass wool 20 cm thick with a 20cm airgap. It seems that I managed to get a good frequency response and a good decay time but I don't like vocal recordings, they seem not very detailed. , I am attaching rew measurements waiting to know what you think.

room size:

length 530 cm
width 360 cm
height 265 cm (there is a lowering of the false ceiling by 20 cm otherwise the real height is 290 cm)
Attached Thumbnails
measurements rew for vocal recording room-whatsapp-image-2019-11-18-01.55.17-1-.jpg   measurements rew for vocal recording room-whatsapp-image-2019-11-18-01.55.17.jpg   measurements rew for vocal recording room-whatsapp-image-2019-11-18-01.55.18-1-.jpg   measurements rew for vocal recording room-whatsapp-image-2019-11-18-01.55.18.jpg   measurements rew for vocal recording room-whatsapp-image-2019-11-18-02.09.42.jpg  

measurements rew for vocal recording room-whatsapp-image-2019-11-18-02.12.37.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mdat misur 17 nov 019.mdat (2.88 MB, 22 views)
Old 3 weeks ago
Looks very nice from 60 Hz and upwards.

You can however see the reflection from the rest of the room in the impulse tab.

Maybe a few gobos would be a good idea? Easy to move around if you need more isolation.

Try a few more positions to see if the holes at 550 Hz are still present and to get an overall feeling for what you get where.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

even if on rew it seems a good result, I don't like the results when I record the entries, the vocal recording appears to be without details, looks dead.

someone will tell me that decay time is low, but I have heard recordings in shooting rooms with a low decay time that work well, which features should a vocal room have?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by grignacarbo View Post
the vocal recording appears to be without details, looks dead.
Can you post an example clip?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

here is a test while I record the spoken word, recording was done with the behringer ecm 8000 microphone in the preamp of my interface audio roland v-studio 700, consider that even if I use my amek 9098 preamp with the rode k2 tube mic, the difference is not abysmal, surely it will sound better my amek with rode, but I still don't hear the detail I hear in professional recordings.
Attached Files

Registra 12 (52).wav (4.54 MB, 325 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
I don't think your vocals sound dead, I would even say I can still hear some room in there.

"Professional" recordings usually have a ****ton of processing on it. I don't think anything's wrong with your recording.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

perhaps it is not correct to say that my room sounds dead, I feel the lack of detail in the middle frequencies, I think I will have to absorb more medium-high frequencies

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search