The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic Foam?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Acoustic Foam?

Over and over in countless threads all I read is that foam is useless, etc, etc...

Then I get the pre-sale email from Gik about their new Foam versions of the Alpha panels.

What gives? Am I gonna now be told their foam is "special"?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmik2000 View Post
Over and over in countless threads all I read is that foam is useless, etc, etc...

Then I get the pre-sale email from Gik about their ne'w Foam versions of the Alpha panels.

Hello,

Gik does not use foam but fiber glass knauff. (in Europe)

??
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Hello,

Gik does not use foam but fiber glass knauff. (in Europe)

??

Guess you didn't get the email... but maybe I'm reading it wrong?

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...acoustic-foam/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That's a pretty cool looking product actually......diffusion and absorption due to that wood veneer finish.

That 200 Hz - 600 Hz absorption is pretty impressive and would be handy for a small room like mine. You won't get that from regular old foam.

Those cut-outs look like they will provide some interesting scattering (which is tough to quantify) and a lot of edge effect absorption which may well account for that good lower end performance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

definitely cool looking, until you see the $20/sq ft price...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Guess you didn't get the email... but maybe I'm reading it wrong?

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...acoustic-foam/
I didn't knew.

They use foam in 57 mm. It's low and doesn't work in bass frequency.
The measurements are made with a random incidence. It's gave optimistic performances.
They have a little thickness and a part of the foam is covered by wood.
Don't waste your money, It's seems Gik needs money.

With the same tickness and the same gas flow resistivity, foam have the same performance than fiber glass or mineral wool.
You will not see foams in the pro studio because the cost is very expensive with the useful tickness.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
That's a pretty cool looking product actually......diffusion and absorption due to that wood veneer finish.

That 200 Hz - 600 Hz absorption is pretty impressive and would be handy for a small room like mine. You won't get that from regular old foam.

Those cut-outs look like they will provide some interesting scattering (which is tough to quantify) and a lot of edge effect absorption which may well account for that good lower end performance.

Wouldn't something like these be the same?

(4 Pack) Sound Absorption-Diffuse Acoustic Panel «Wave» for rec.studio | Wood laminated: (Sonoma) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LH7N8ZG..._dNCZDbS3J4EN1
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Then I get the pre-sale email from Gik about their new Foam versions of the Alpha panels.

Nobody said it doesnt work. Its just expensive on a cost vs performance comparison.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Nobody said it doesnt work. Its just expensive on a cost vs performance comparison.

Huhhh? Are you serious? There's a **** ton of posts all over this forum about how foam ala auralex is useless. But ok...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Huhhh? Are you serious? There's a **** ton of posts all over this forum about how foam ala auralex is useless. But ok...
Fair enough, and at 2" thick its not going to do much for anything but HF, but that's application, not product failure. Anyone who knows about acoustics will know that it works as a porous absorbant. Its just expensive for what it does.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
The thin eggcrate-looking kind of foam is useless.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
The thin eggcrate-looking kind of foam is useless.
As an acoustic treatment yes. As an aesthetic treatment what else are you going to find for .50 cents sq/ft to finish a ceiling or a wall? Meaning it can serve a purpose if you understand what it can and can’t do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I take issue with
Quote:
This makes them the ideal choice for technical applications such as mastering, mixing, control rooms, and recording studios.
As while the diffusion plate tech may be useful in such contexts, the absorption panel itself probably isn't as a whole. Pretty misleading.

That said... foam may not be worthwhile for audio engineering, but doesn't it have its use in contexts where low-frequencies aren't gonna be present? For example, a broadcaster/streamer who doesn't want their voice to have a metallic sibilant echo, or somebody tracking an instrument that doesn't extend into the low-frequencies..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristana View Post
That said... foam may not be worthwhile for audio engineering, but doesn't it have its use in contexts where low-frequencies aren't gonna be present? For example, a broadcaster/streamer who doesn't want their voice to have a metallic sibilant echo, or somebody tracking an instrument that doesn't extend into the low-frequencies..
A flute goes down below C4. A soprano C4
Both below the absorption range of foams used in studios
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Compare the sabine numbers with the measurements provide by Gik acoustic and you will understand.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cost vs performance foam is one of the most expensive products. You get more product for less cost if you stay away from foam
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Those panels will only scatter sound, not diffuse it. And the 2" depth will only absorb down to about 200 hz, as the graph shows. They might be helpful to dampen down a lively room, like a cafe or a meeting room, but they won't deal with the primary issue of small recording rooms: low frequency modal ringing. For that you need thick (like 8 to 12 inches) panels or corner traps with a better absorption coefficient than foam. But they are cool looking!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Cost vs performance foam is one of the most expensive products. You get more product for less cost if you stay away from foam
It amazes me how people ignore this, even as you wrote it at the beginnning of this thread!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Those panels will only scatter sound, not diffuse it. And the 2" depth will only absorb down to about 200 hz, as the graph shows. They might be helpful to dampen down a lively room, like a cafe or a meeting room, but they won't deal with the primary issue of small recording rooms: low frequency modal ringing.
I like how you differentiate between diffusion and scattering. I also agree about their possible efficacy in dealing with the "cafe effect" but maybe not so much the "Lenny's bedroom studio effect".

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi Steve! Yeah, I just have found in my endlessly work-in-progress room that the more and deeper the rockwool, the less my guitar sounds boomy in the recording.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
It amazes me how people ignore this, even as you wrote it at the beginnning of this thread!
I dont get it either, but i'll keep saying it every time it comes up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search