The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Improvised blanket vocal booth sample/help
Old 4 weeks ago
Improvised blanket vocal booth sample/help

I made a little fort out of moving blankets to try to record in. I'm attaching a sample. It was a small area, a little under 4'x4'x7' I'd say. It sounds a bit too dead to me. What are some ways to fix that? space the blankets out more?
Attached Files

improvVObooth.mp3 (619.4 KB, 217 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Bumping

What would make it sound less dead? Would setting them up in a larger area like 6'x5'x7' help? At some point I will make proper rockwool panels. At the moment the blanket set up is convenient because I can set them up in the basement and take them down easily. The basement is probably the room with the least outside noise pollution available to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

It's quite possible the muddiness is coming from the possibility that the blankets aren't doing much in the lower part of the spectrum and are overabsorbing the highs creating the impression of a muddy or overly dry booth. You can try opening it up a bit to let some Air in. Typically one would add some sort of reflective surface but you don't have any hard walls in your "booth".

It's Also possible your moving blankets could be a bit reflective depending on woven or non woven material. I also built a blanket booth once using acoustic blankets And ended up with the same results.
Blankets have great surface area but poor even absorption throughout the spectrum. You've got to think what a less than half an inch blanket is capable of absorbing. Then, you have to watch out for over layering the blankets. Depending on the density of them things could become a bit reflective the thicker you go. Which was my experience.

I personally would not use blankets. Maybe on walls to tame early reflections but that's it, and I probably wouldn't cover my entire wall with them.

If I were you I would make 3 PVC gobos.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/danabre...diy-gobos/amp/

Near tooless and highly effective. You could take it a step further and make a PVC booth to accommodate insulation instead of blankets Which is what I did and it sounds a million times better then a blanket booth. It sounds more "even" and was fairly cheap.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyten View Post
It's quite possible the muddiness is coming from the possibility that the blankets aren't doing much in the lower part of the spectrum and are overabsorbing the highs creating the impression of a muddy or overly dry booth. You can try opening it up a bit to let some Air in. Typically one would add some sort of reflective surface but you don't have any hard walls in your "booth".

It's Also possible your moving blankets could be a bit reflective depending on woven or non woven material. I also built a blanket booth once using acoustic blankets And ended up with the same results.
Blankets have great surface area but poor even absorption throughout the spectrum. You've got to think what a less than half an inch blanket is capable of absorbing. Then, you have to watch out for over layering the blankets. Depending on the density of them things could become a bit reflective the thicker you go. Which was my experience.

I personally would not use blankets. Maybe on walls to tame early reflections but that's it, and I probably wouldn't cover my entire wall with them.

If I were you I would make 3 PVC gobos.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/danabre...diy-gobos/amp/

Near tooless and highly effective. You could take it a step further and make a PVC booth to accommodate insulation instead of blankets Which is what I did and it sounds a million times better then a blanket booth. It sounds more "even" and was fairly cheap.
I will be making rockwool panels at some point in the future, when I have a more permanent set up (right now I'm saving up to move, the place I'm in right now makes having a permanent set up difficult). I really just wanted to stop the reflections that come from hard surfaces like walls and floors, I think that works well enough with blankets, at least for the clapping and snapping echo test. The sample recording set up had 4 layers of blankets because I used blankets that were folded over and layered two or them on each side, arranged in a 4'x4' area. The basement is the quietest area, and setting up mineral wool panels would be hard down there. It would be easier with gobos. I just had the blankets handy already, after hearing a ton of recommendations for blankets for location audio and DIY treatment.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Care to share a pic of your setup?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search