The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Axial modes
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Axial modes

My studio build is progressing (not professional) and I have a question regarding the main axial length modes in my L-shaped room. I'll start taking measurements with the next few weeks.

The room is not only a studio space and because of this limitation I cannot place my head optimally to avoid the lower axial modes (37.5% from front wall assuming perfectly squared room and infinite rigid walls). 20% from the front wall is more likely where I'm going to end up give and take a few %... I'll probably have my head near some nulls/peaks.

When treating the back wall with porous materials the 1/4 wave length of low frequencies (velocity peak) lead to very deep traps. In my room this is unfortunately not an option. I could go on with higher GFR insulation and air gap (less deep, 40 cm) but even this would affect the usability quite much.

How would a free standing (portable/movable) gobo (open back) with 30 cm insulation affect the main axial length modes if this gobo is placed 2 meters away from the back wall? Total length of room if 5.75 meters.

I guess this construct is not commonly used in professional studios because it looks really odd to place a big blob in the middle of the room... :-) However, how will a gobo in the middle of the room affect the acoustics (modes)?

Any input is appreciated. Should I go on with my gobo build (ordering insulation and spend the time to build it) or do I have other options?

Thanks, Mark
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Assuming well treated, further than "theoretical ideal" (according to dangerous rule of thumb) from first null might even be beneficial.

40 cm of depth is enough to treat 30 Hz with ok efficiently. Check your options in some calculators.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
Assuming well treated, further than "theoretical ideal" (according to dangerous rule of thumb) from first null might even be beneficial.

40 cm of depth is enough to treat 30 Hz with ok efficiently. Check your options in some calculators.
Thanks,

I'm not sure how much treatment I can add to the back wall. I'm afraid it will not be enough. The 40 cm I mentioned above is more likely to become 20... Preferable, and that's why I ask, I would add none, and use a movable gobo instead that can be tucked away when not needed.

What effect will a gobo in the middle of the room have on the axial modes?

Last edited by Mark Alpine; 3 days ago at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Addressing more than one

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search