The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best hooks/plugs for hanging bass traps from plasterboard ceiling
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Best hooks/plugs for hanging bass traps from plasterboard ceiling

Apologies if this has been covered before, but couldn't find any precise info here, and elsewhere just links to US companies (like "Ooks") - also it's a bit more of a DIY question than an acoustic measurement question so hope that's OK!

I want to hang a bass trap (standard GIK 244 panel, 600mm x 1200mm, weighing I think 5.6 kg) from a ceiling which sounds hollow, so presumably plasterboard. I'm planning to hang it from 4 hooks to spread out the weight.

Have been googling this for an hour or so now, but just don't have the DIY know-how to know what the best product is to hang it from... some sort of rawl-plug or expanding spring-toggle bolt presumably, but ones with a hook?

Have seen mention of hanging plant hooks, and a US company called "ooks" - but can anyone recommend some hooks that'll fix securely into a plasterboard ceiling that are available in the UK?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would not recommend hanging a cloud with drywall anchors. Find the joists, and put eye bolts and closed hooks. Make sure all hardware is rated for much more weight than you are suspending. If you are hanging 20kg, i would recommend hardware capable of 200kg. Never skimp on safety.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Eye hooks into joists are also the least intrusive method. The resulting holes are very easy to patch. Depending on cloud weight, but the eye hook shafts should have at least 1-1/2" length to start. Drill pilot holes, screw the hooks in, and use chains or cables or even rope to hang the new cloud.
Old 4 weeks ago
I screwed and glued some 2 x 2 or 47mm x 45mm PAR redwood pine into my ceiling, which is very secure, then used eye hook and big brass hooks that hook into them,

the eyes are screwed into the traps and the hooks into the wood strips, I found it easier that way, luckily I am a cabinet maker so doing DIY is easy for me, it shouldn't be too hard if you plan it carefully, definitely do not screw straight into plaster board though, it will not be strong enough and could be very unsafe.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Fair enough, tbh I don't like the idea of these traps hanging from plasterboard either, especially right over my head...

Will try and locate some joists - just to clarify, screw-in hooks should be good from joists, no wall-plugs or similar needed?

I do like the idea of the wood strips, but as I'm in rented property need to be as unobtrusive as possible.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just did this but with a DIY cloud. I used closed eye bolts in both the cloud and the ceiling. I found the ceiling joists using a $1.50 stud finder. Each eye bolt was rated for 160lbs each. I used chain and turnbuckles for the rigging. I did not use any hooks. I cut the chain to length and opened each eye just enough to get the chain in the eye and then closed it back. The turnbuckles allow you to adjust each corner separately. I have 10ft vaulted ceilings so the clouds face is at the 8ft mark. The lower it is the more area it will cover. To illustrate this, if your speakers were lights the closer the cloud is to them the greater the showdown the cloud would produce. If that makes sense. You can really maximize your clouds air gap and coverage if your ceilings are high enough.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Did not know there was such a thing as a stud finder! Just to be clear, in this context a "stud" refers to a wooden beam, right (i.e. not a metal stud like on a jacket?)

OK, this method sounds far surer than just tapping the ceiling, I'll see if I can find a cheap one. And yes, if I can locate some solid wooden beams, I'd have no problem putting in a few closed hooks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorlizard View Post
Did not know there was such a thing as a stud finder! Just to be clear, in this context a "stud" refers to a wooden beam, right (i.e. not a metal stud like on a jacket?)

OK, this method sounds far surer than just tapping the ceiling, I'll see if I can find a cheap one. And yes, if I can locate some solid wooden beams, I'd have no problem putting in a few closed hooks.
A stud finder has a magnet on a swivel and when the magnet crosses over the Sheetrock screw/nail to mount the Sheetrock to the stud it swings to an upright position. There are also electronic versions. It’s up to you to find the direction the stud is running. That can usually be done by knocking on the Sheetrock or finding another screw/nail and connecting the dots. The studs should be either 16” or 24” on center in the US. This will help you find the next one over.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Best hooks/plugs for hanging bass traps from plasterboard ceiling-a25362b5-bf7b-4845-ade8-513be2070c4f.jpg   Best hooks/plugs for hanging bass traps from plasterboard ceiling-a79fcc0a-0fc4-4104-b039-d2e7bf8e6ade.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search