The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic Treatment mixing/production room
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Acoustic Treatment mixing/production room

Hello everybody. After a bit of researching I'm starting to finally build acoustic treatment for my room. As I state in the title I'm gonna use this space mainly for mixing and some music production. I don't want to reach professional quality acoustic, but I need an environment where I can work, and trust what I'm hearing.

The size of the room is I suppose a good starting point, symmetry is definitely a problem. The height is 10'8", so I have room for treatment on the ceiling as well.

I have some measurements with the room empty, only my two speakers (Adam A5X) and down below is the .mdat file, if you want to have a look yourself. I positioned the speakers on the "left wall" spaced equally from each side walls.

Something like this:

I'm a beginner, so reading data out of REW is not so easy for me. What I can state looking at the results is that the frequency responce of each speaker is a bit different, as well as the ETC, because of non-symmetry.
The waterfall diagram is different as well, and there are noticeable room modes at 60hz 110hz and 160hz.

The only idea I have for achieving symmetry (front wall/ side walls at least) is to build a new wall in front of the existing one like this:

I would do this only if it's worth it, because is gonna cost me some money. Another Idea I had is to achieve symmetry with first reflection point panels like this:

(credits for the last pic to @ Brian M. Boykin )

I know I'll need bass traps as well, and I'm thinking on how to go about that especially in the window corner. I sketch up something, I'll start with the superchunk today.

Let me know what you guys think about this, if you have any advice I will appreciate it!
Attached Files
File Type: mdat Down Studio.mdat (10.44 MB, 5 views)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I like the idea of building a new front wall. It solves the side wall symmetry problems. Because the rear wall is almost 19 ft back you can place the listening position forward enough to take the back wall out if play And possibly use diffusion. I know you think this is a bad room but it’s not. You have that length going for you and your front wall idea is ingenious. Get the angles the same and the side walls will be splayed out the same. Maybe not the recommended angles but they won’t be parallel to one another and reflections will be pushed to the rear of the room. Hopefully some professionals will chime in but I would take your room over mine in a second. You have volume too. You can achieve a nice sounding room. Time and space are your friend.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. Boykin View Post
I like the idea of building a new front wall. It solves the side wall symmetry problems. Because the rear wall is almost 19 ft back you can place the listening position forward enough to take the back wall out if play And possibly use diffusion. I know you think this is a bad room but it’s not. You have that length going for you and your front wall idea is ingenious. Get the angles the same and the side walls will be splayed out the same. Maybe not the recommended angles but they won’t be parallel to one another and reflections will be pushed to the rear of the room. Hopefully some professionals will chime in but I would take your room over mine in a second. You have volume too. You can achieve a nice sounding room. Time and space are your friend.
Thank you Brian for your answer. I'm guessing if it's a big problem having the walls spayed out differently. Because my budget is limited, idk what I should aim for first you now.

Anybody else have some ideas guys?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It’s about preserving the stereo image. Only you know how serious you are and only you can establish expectations for the room. I’m pretty serious and I’m attempting to put out professional sounding mixes as well as seek business. So it’s important to me to have the best room the room can provide for me. Obviously within the rooms own limitations.
Old 21 hours ago
Here for the gear
Anyone else would like to give his thoughts?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search