The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Isolating this Room -Construction Advice
Old 8th November 2019
Here for the gear

Isolating this Room -Construction Advice

Hey y'all. Just got an offer for a space here in Brooklyn that is available to rent. I'm an electronic producer in need of an isolated room, and my options in New York are rather limited. Commercial space here that is available for small studio space is hard to come by. What's available at 200sf is usually within art studio/production complexes, which is where I've found myself for the past two years. I found a new space, but it's next to few a hip hop producers who output quite a lot of sub bass. I love the room, and it's perfect for the amount of gear I have. But as it is, it won't be isolated from the sub bass, and that will be an issue for me in terms of mixing and general production.

I'm interested in doing a build out, and the building has said I can do so. The only thing they won't let me do is floating concrete. So, I'm wondering how best to go about this to get as much isolation as possible.

Images of the room as-is are attached.

Currently, the room has 4 walls with 16 inch steel studs, Rockwool SAFE N SOUND insulation, and a layer of sheetrock all around. I've been reading Rod Gervais' book, and I'm considering the 57 or 63 STC method of wall construction.

For walls and ceiling, I am considering standard 16 inch studs with rockwool and 2 layers of drywall/sheetrock. For the drywall/sheetrock, I'm also considering resilient channel assemblies. Would do an air gap of about 2-4 inches between the existing and new wall.

In terms of the flooring, I'm considering framing a floor out over top mass loaded vinyl or similar, with Rockwool insulation within and plywood on top, then more MLV, then laminate or something similar.

My questions are:

1. Will this method block out the sub bass that is bothersome to this room?
2. In terms of floor, besides floating concrete slabs, is my idea only more troublesome? I've read a bit about floated floors and how they can sometimes be more resonant depending on material.
3. For the existing wall, should I rip down the drywall currently hanging to stick to Gervais' 63 STC method for a wider airgap? Or does that matter?

I appreciate all replies and suggestions. Having read through many threads on this forum, I'm totally prepared for any/all of my ideas to be shot down as idiotic. Just be nice to me plz :D
Attached Thumbnails
Isolating this Room -Construction Advice-img_1815-2.jpg   Isolating this Room -Construction Advice-img_1816.jpg   Isolating this Room -Construction Advice-img_1817.jpg   Isolating this Room -Construction Advice-screen-shot-2019-11-07-8.21.33-pm.png  

Last edited by JJSound21; 8th November 2019 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: Images aren't showing up
Old 8th November 2019
Here for the gear

Sorry for the sideways images. I don't really know how to fix them lol.
Old 9th November 2019
Lives for gear

How loud is the sub bass leakage into your room in db? STC is based on speech, not music. Sub bass will sail through a STC 60 wall. You will not be able to make a considerable reduction in sub bass level without adding a great deal of mass to each leaf along with a large enough air gap to lower the MSM resonance to aroud 5hz. You will also have to add a ventillation system with substantial silencer boxes. This will be extremely expensive and require a great deal of space. I'm not sure it is realistic to do in such a small rented space. Read through the attached pdf and it will teach you how to calculate the mass/airgap required. You will quickly learn the difficulty of the situation.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...hGePlUGiKEFdIx

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search