The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Garage Door Leakage
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Garage Door Leakage

Here's my sitch-
I've been reading Rod's book and i think i know what i need to do but would like to verify.
I just moved into a new house which the garage is already converted to a makeshift studio. Needs much more soundproofing. The garage door is the main culprit. It has been gasketed and sealed and the mechanisms removed. A wall has been built to cover the door. I punched open the wall last night and found it to be framed 16 feet on center with r13 insulated and a layer of 1/2 drywall on top,taped and painted.
The Question- do i need to tear off the drywall (about 5 sheets wide) to expose the air gap then built an offset wall with insulation and 2 sheets of 5/8 with green glue in between, or do I start by layering some more mass onto that existing wall? Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

First off I would imagine you meant to say it was framed 16" on center

Next it's not possible to know the answer without further understanding how it all goes together

If the framing was installed in such a manner as to directly connect the door and wall assembly the odds are that adding mass to the assembly without providing a mean of decoupling the 2 will not get the job done for you

Rod
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Thanks for the input Rod!
I'll open the wall furthur to see what the framing is doing.

Feet, inches I guess that does matter in affairs other than just recreating Stonehenge. Best line in Spinal Tap = "i did what was written on the napkin!" Ian's response- "F$%K the napkin!"
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
tore off all the drywall and the framing touches the garage door so removing that lumber as well. Basically starting from scratch. The system was actually 24" on center with 1/4" drywall. Lame. No wonder it was resonating low end.
Wish me luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search